Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Re: ***Official 2007 Colorado Rockies Thread***

5-1 will most likely get them to at least a tie for WC or division, especially if we sweep AZ at home.

I do wish Milwaukee hadn't slipped the last few days, its crucial that they still have something to play for in their last 4 games against SD.

Rox would have to go on the road for the tiebreak playoff game if they tie for the division, but more importantly they have HFA for WC ties with Philly or SD.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:26 AM

If the Rockies tie either the Padres or the Phillies for WC spot, they win it due to them being winners of each of those season series' (10-8 vs. SDG, 4-3 vs. PHI), so all they have to do is tie. no hu4rollztiebreaker

Thankfully Peavy only starts once during these last 7 games for the Padres, and they have to face Zito, Cain, Sheets and Gallardo. The Rockies have to face to Penny and Lowe in their last 6, and NOT Webb.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the Rockies tie either the Padres or the Phillies for WC spot, they win it due to them being winners of each of those season series' (10-8 vs. SDG, 4-3 vs. PHI), so all they have to do is tie. no hu4rollztiebreaker

Thankfully Peavy only starts once during these last 7 games for the Padres, and they have to face Zito, Cain, Sheets and Gallardo. The Rockies have to face to Penny and Lowe in their last 6, and NOT Webb.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I understand, your first statement is not true

In case of a 3-way tie, they will do a 2-game playoff.... since Colorado has a winning record against both, the Phillies would go to San Diego and the winner of that game would play a 1-game playoff in Colorado

That's how I understand it, I could be wrong

I think 5-1 does it, how sick would this be... I'd be flying up to Colorado for this for sure
Old 09-24-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

If there is a tie for the WC, there is a one-game playoff.

If there is a tie for the division, and there is a second place club in a different division with a better record, there is a one-game playoff.

The only time H2H regular season records come into play is if there is a tie for the division and those two teams also have better records than the second-place teams in the other divisions. Then the winner of the regular season series between the two teams gets the division title and the loser gets the WC.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think 5-1 does it, how sick would this be... I'd be flying up to Colorado for this for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to do it, it might be another 12 years before your next chance.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In case of a 3-way tie, they will do a 2-game playoff.... since Colorado has a winning record against both, the Phillies would go to San Diego and the winner of that game would play a 1-game playoff in Colorado

That's how I understand it, I could be wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much correct, except the Rockies would have to play an away game against the winner of the first playoff game.

OR they could choose home-field advantage but then they would have to beat BOTH teams at home.

They get first choice though of being A, B, or C.

C @ B

A @ (winner of B/C)
Old 09-24-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, not so sure about this... we are super young and very talented, I don't see next year getting fewer than 85 wins

That being said, I've been a hugh Rockies fan for 7-8 years and postseason baseball has been not even considered over those years
Old 09-24-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, not so sure about this... we are super young and very talented, I don't see next year getting fewer than 85 wins

That being said, I've been a hugh Rockies fan for 7-8 years and postseason baseball has been not even considered over those years

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have put a [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] at the end of the post.

I was in 5th grade when the Rockies last made the playoffs, my Dad took me out of school and we flew from MN to watch them lose to the Braves. At the beginning of every season after that I thought it would be the Rox year until I gave up around 11th grade or so. Don't get depressed though, the '07 Rox are much more legit than the '95 Rox.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:48 PM

ah, i see, thanks for correcting me on the tiebreaker issue

i've been a closet rockies fan ever since i was with my dad and he got very choked that larry walker lost out a canadian-athlete-of-the-year contest to jacques villenueve (this is mid 90's, probably 95 or 96, lol)
Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 AM

3-way tie after tonight plz

GOGOGO BRAVES/ROCKIES/GIANTS