Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Need Tips - Workout Advice for a Girl

wow, there is no need to get complicated for her...she has poor nutrition and she isn't doing a resistance/exercise program...she needs to starting eating healthy foods in the correct amounts and start some kind of weight training program...she doesn't really need to be worried about ketones and bf% and detailed [censored] like that...eat healthy + lift weights = get the body you want...
Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thremp, that's only like 1300 cals, kinda low no?

speaking of breakfast, when i have time i've been frying 2 scrambled eggs and throwing them in a whole wheat wrap with a little bit of cheese... probably like 500 calories. thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its her BMR, not her "maintenance level". Her metabolism is likely really slow as well since most girls who're relatively thin eat little and poorly. I mean they are quasi-starving which is why they'll be thin and soft. But meh... if they look good I'm little to mess with success.

I'm not sure what you're really asking. Your breakfast looks fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of skinny people have high metabolisms too, though, and some of them eat plenty. (That was me for my first couple decades +.) And people with overactive thyroids really burn through calories.

FFK, have some carbs at your breakfast. You have all day to burn them as fuel, so that's the best time to eat them. A very popular body-builder's breakfast is a scoop of protein powder in a bowl of oatmeal. That's a little time-consuming to eat in the morning, but there are instant oatmeal packets out there that you can just dump in a small bowl or a mug when you get to work, if you want to do that. The combo of protein plus some carbs is a low calorie way to keep your body from eating away your own muscle, and still give you energy.

By the way, a lot of people are not really very good at understanding what's going on with their bodies. I'd be surprised if most of the people who for one reason or another skip breakfast wouldn't find that the state they have gotten used to isn't as good as the one they would get by eating a light breakfast. Emphasis on the light, because heavy breakfasts weigh a lot of people down. And however they feel, I'm sure they would be healthier if they ate breakfast.

Me, I don't like to come out of a hot shower and get in a hot car to go sit in hot freeway traffic, so I like cold breakfasts. That's why I'm a big fan of cold chicken for breakfast, along with a piece of fruit and a roll or half a potato.

Even leftover salad(doesn't work with leftover dressing-soaked lettuce -- ugh!) is great, and very easily digested and healthy. A great way to start the morning without feeling weighed down. (Of course, high-calorie dressing will ruin that; I like simple vinegar and oil or even just a flavored rice vinegar for a super low calorie dressing.) I usually keep a batch of this in the fridge in a long flat sheet cake container, with green beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, grape or cherry tomatoes, red onions, red cabbage, brocolli or cauliflower, green peppers, and either tangerine or orange segments, or green seedless grapes(that gives a big spike of flavor and mixes well with the spice of the red onion). Often I'll add cucumber or zuccini, and occasionally I'll dress it up with some olives or even artichoke hearts or baby corns or hearts of palm. If I feel like adding some protein (not that necessary with the beans), I'll chop in a boiled egg or some tofu on the spot.

The salad is good as a snack anytime, or as dinner, or as a side-dish to the chicken or a sandwich.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FFK,

I ordered mine from Iron Woody Fitness and they're quite a bit different than the ones you linked to. They are more like a giant rubber band - so they don't have handles attached to them and they are not made of rubber tubing. Now I wanted them to be able to do assisted pullups, resistance pushups, deadlifts, squats, and other full body motions. I do think the ones I linked to would serve you better if you are looking to do similar exercises to the ones I mentioned (which I think you should). I'm not saying the ones you linked to won't work for those purposes, because they may, I just think you'll get more resistance and a longer life span out of the Iron Woody Bands (1 year guarantee). But, they are a little more expensive so maybe you should try your option first and see if it works for you. Hope this helps and doesn't add confusion!

[/ QUOTE ]

I use jumpstretch bands and they're basically the same thing as the iron woody bands. They have a set of a bunch of pairs that is a decent deal even compared with Iron Woody, whose prices for single pairs are better. FFK, a really nice thing about these is also how portable they are. They fold up so small that you can tuck one or two in a moderately sized purse, and they weigh next to nothing. If you have to travel much, they're ideal.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The idea is to get your body to burn ketones instead of glycogen, while in caloric defecit you will burn body fat along with dietary fat. This diet has ripped off 15 pounds of fat in 3 weeks off my body.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very familiar with the concept of ketogenic diets. I have followed one very closely numerous times in my life. I don't know if I have royally [censored] up my metabolism (very possible), or if it's because I don't work out, or if it's because I'm not terribly huge to begin with, or what, but I have never had any amount of success with any of them. And before you accuse me of doing it wrong, I didn't, I'm extremely conscientous about what I eat and I completely bought in and understood the science behind it all. I've seen this diet work wonders for friends and family members, so I don't discredit it, but for some reason it doesn't do much in the way of "ripping off fat" for me.

The concept of eating spaced out meals throughout the day makes a lot of sense to me. If my BMR is 1300, I do some resistance/strength stuff, say, 4 times a week, I want to tone up and lose fat, how many calories/day do you guys recommend I eat?

[ QUOTE ]
wow, there is no need to get complicated for her...she has poor nutrition and she isn't doing a resistance/exercise program...she needs to starting eating healthy foods in the correct amounts and start some kind of weight training program...

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the conclusion I arrived at and the whole reason for starting this thread.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:28 AM

FFK,

Eh... Start with 1300 and adjust 100 up or down each week depending on whether you're losing weight or not. Actually, check how much you're eating now if it's sub 1000. I'd ramp upto ~1300 and more meals over like 2 weeks.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...eat the fewest for breakfast and the most for dinner . How important is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly opposite of what it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? please site sources...calories in = calories out no?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...eat the fewest for breakfast and the most for dinner . How important is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly opposite of what it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? please site sources...calories in = calories out no?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW he posted that question because we were having a debate, and I was wondering. I just don't understand why when you eat the calories matters, from a big picture perspective. If I eat a big breakfast, OK I burn it through out the day.. but if I eat a big dinner, why don't I burn it the next day just the same? I'm truly looking for an explanation here, not trying to argue. I guess I'm just a little hesitant accepting one of these dieting beliefs as "science" since nearly every diet fad in history has had false assumptions ("eat low fat foods" in the 80s, "do atkins and have all the bacon you want" in the 90s, etc)
Old 08-31-2007, 10:55 AM

Others no more about it than me, but the basic gist of it is that you've just been fasting for 8+ hours when you sleep. When our bodies aren't given food, they hold onto fat for dear life and our metabolism slows down. You need to eat to wake it up.

I don't know if the general more in morning less at night is really true. But I'm guessing it should at least be fairly balanced.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:08 AM

Food (especially carbohydrates) are processed by your body very quickly. How it makes sense to me is, if you eat a big dinner and go to sleep you aren't using that energy - so it is stored as fat (or builds/repairs muscle if you've been lifting).
Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 PM

But if you get up and don't eat right away, aren't you burning that energy just the same in the morning? Or not, someone correct me.