Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Re: The IOWA FARMLAND rush continues on...........

Honestly, I think OP is smarter than try to make money selling farm land via 2+2. So I think while his posts may seem spammy, they are not in poor spirit.

I'd also like to say, these threads, (while a bit extreme for some investors) definitely do add to the forum by opening up new ideas on how to invest/ shedding light on options that we do not think of usually, etc..
Old 06-15-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, crude oil is closing in on $70 today.

Corn, beans, and oil all moving up ..........this is very positive for land prices. I hope most here realize this contributing factor in this land boom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Corn and soybean markets through the roof today. Some farmers are delivering $4.20 corn to ethanol plants in Iowa and soybeans were almost up the limit today on the CBOT.

Landowners who have cash rent leases terminating on September 1st are scrambling to find out how much they should increase their rent in fairness to the fine farmers who work their ground. Never thought the day would arrive in my lifetime when cash rent would average above $200 an acre for slightly above average cropland in Iowa, but it is happening right now. I'm sure the top quality farms are recieving over $250 per acre.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd also like to say, these threads, (while a bit extreme for some investors) definitely do add to the forum by opening up new ideas on how to invest/ shedding light on options that we do not think of usually, etc..

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you

Update- The eastern cornbelt is currently in a very serious drought. The noted regions that are under major stress are southern Ohio, southern Indiana, parts of southern Illinois, Tennessee and all of Arkansas.

Corn and bean prices were both up sharply yesterday.

Currently, the majority of Iowa corn looks very good, with over 90% of the state reporting excellent corn at the present time.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:39 PM

FishHead,

Are there any Iowa Farmlands left? I am looking to get my money out of poker.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FishHead,

Are there any Iowa Farmlands left? I am looking to get my money out of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hundreds and hundreds.....
Old 06-17-2007, 11:12 PM

Another source of income besides CRP (which was already mentioned) is leasing your land to these guys who will pay through the nose to shoot a big deer to brag to their buddies. I've seen people leasing land for upwards of $30 an acre in Iowa, per year, just for the chance to hunt Iowa deer.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another source of income besides CRP (which was already mentioned) is leasing your land to these guys who will pay through the nose to shoot a big deer to brag to their buddies. I've seen people leasing land for upwards of $30 an acre in Iowa, per year, just for the chance to hunt Iowa deer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another potential use of land in Iowa is for the growing usage of wind energy.

WIND STATS-

2000- 5.6 million megawatts
2004- 14.2 million mega watts
2015- 56 million minimum will be generated.

IOWA ranks 3rd in wind capacity currently, trailing only the states of Texas and California in energy produced by wind turbines.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:48 PM

Would someone on this forum contact Fishhead and buy some Iowa farmland already?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would someone on this forum contact Fishhead and buy some Iowa farmland already?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been trying to, but his PM box must be full. I hope the other two plus twoers haven't bought all the farmland.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:46 AM

Again, i personally have NO farmland for sale.

Having said that, there are no less than two very well respected posters here at Twoplustwo that have contacted me and in all that are seriously contemplating investing in rural farmland, and if so, in all probability farmland in the states of Iowa or Minnesota.

Grain market update--The Ohio River Valley continues to encounter a very dry season and this is applying extreme pressure to their corn crops. Rain is expected today, but how much in unknown. Bean and corn prices are appoaching very high levels.

The crops in IOWA(corn and soybeans) are looking well above average in the majority of the state.

-FH-