Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Re: SEC football > all other football

[ QUOTE ]
Uhhh Michigan alone has OSU, ND, MSU, and to a bit of a lesser extent, PSU. OSU and ND are primary. There are quite a few others in the big 10. Minny/Wiscy comes to mind off the top of my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really think that MSU/Michigan is even in the same ballpark as auburn/uga, you're just...misinformed. Michigan always beats on them, whatever. Everyone knows who the better football school is, both traditionally and right now, cmon. Again, point is that you CANT say that for MOST of the SEC schools. The only legit rivelries you mentioned there that compare with SEC rivelries are OSU/ND/PSU. All those schools in a given year are competitive with each other. Incidently, ND isn't in a conference for football, so whatever.

You just can't name a conference with AS MANY serious games as the SEC as Danny explained. The point is that 2/3 of the SEC schedule is a toss up every year, that's NOT true for just about any other conference.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Random conference Power Rankings:
1. SEC, just because there are so few soft spots. A full SEC schedule is a beating week-in, week-out.
2. Big 12. Similar reason, Baylor is the only really abysmal team and the Big 12 does currently have 3 teams in the top 10.
3. PAC-10 I guess, I really like Oregon but I haven't seen ASU so idk if they are for real yet.
4. Big 10-I do love Ohio State but I think the rest of the conference is mostly having a lackluster year.
5. Big East-on the back of BC and I guess Rutgers
6. ACC-because USF is the best team in Florida.

And top 5 teams:
1. Ohio State-Bar none, the best I think
2. Boston College-I think you have to until they lose
3. Oregon-might not be quite this good but wow what a fun offense to watch
4. Oklahoma-Yes, they have a freshman quarterback. Yes, he will win the Heisman one day if he stays for 4 years (big if)
5. LSU-meh

[/ QUOTE ]

USF is in the Big East
Old 10-30-2007, 11:47 AM

Now can we start arguing about how last years Natl Championship Game should have been OSU v. Michigan. Hold on I'll get Kirk Herbstreit.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 PM

Dave D,

I'm glad you realize what a privilege it'll be for Wake to get to play an SEC team for the next couple years.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a Tebow-led team from the SEC could be competitive with the Dolphins. The Dolphins are pretty damn bad. So are the Rams.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is beyond ridiculous. just b/c tebow is an nfl caliber qb does not mean his team can take on an nfl squad. yes the dolphins suck, but the rams would not be this bad if bulger and jackson hadn't gotten injured. no matter how badly the dolphins may suck, you cannot compare their play to florida's play, b/c their disparity in competition is too great. most of florida's players will not set foot in the nfl, where as even the lowly dolphins' starters were studs in college. the talent level is not comparable. Tebow would be lucky to get a pass off and he can forget trying to scramble, b/c there will be no where to run when the pocket collapses.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dave D,

I'm glad you realize what a privilege it'll be for Wake to get to play an SEC team for the next couple years.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a privilege for anyone to play anyone.

I also have the common sense to awknoledge that Wake isn't really a football school, and we are getting kinda lucky to get where we are, but that doesn't mean they're not a good team. We should have beaten both BC and Nebraska, but that's the story of WF football, loosing games by a TD in the second half of the 4th.

A lot of the teams in the ACC have a lot of history and are traditionally good programs going through hard times. In a couple years, the ACC has the potential to be a serious contender with the SEC.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Incidently, Texas won the NC at the end of the year when OSU played them.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP, to be fair.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Uhhh Michigan alone has OSU, ND, MSU, and to a bit of a lesser extent, PSU. OSU and ND are primary. There are quite a few others in the big 10. Minny/Wiscy comes to mind off the top of my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really think that MSU/Michigan is even in the same ballpark as auburn/uga, you're just...misinformed. Michigan always beats on them, whatever. Everyone knows who the better football school is, both traditionally and right now, cmon. Again, point is that you CANT say that for MOST of the SEC schools. The only legit rivelries you mentioned there that compare with SEC rivelries are OSU/ND/PSU. All those schools in a given year are competitive with each other. Incidently, ND isn't in a conference for football, so whatever.

You just can't name a conference with AS MANY serious games as the SEC as Danny explained. The point is that 2/3 of the SEC schedule is a toss up every year, that's NOT true for just about any other conference.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ridiculous to call any PSU rivalry as cold-blooded as any Southern rivalry. PSU hasn't even been in the conference that long. Southern teams don't need retarded 'white outs' to get hyped. UGA/AUB is the least of our four traditional bad blood rivalries and is far more intense. more than 100 years of playing, stealing coaches, borderwars, recruiting battles and bad blood. Not even close. And that's minor right now compared to UGA/UF or AUB/BAMA. the Alabama rivalry is just insane, and is not up for debate as the most heated rivalry in college football.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Incidently, Texas won the NC at the end of the year when OSU played them.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP, to be fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad you're correct, I just looked it up, they were #13 at the end of the year. They certainly weren't as good as people thought they were in the beggining of the year though.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:28 PM

But you guys were talking about EMOTION and INTENSE HATRED and guess what, MSU and PSU both hate Michigan with a passion. Alabama/Auburn rivalry is by no means "easily" the most heated. Do you guys seriously not see how ridiculously homertastic you are? I'm not debating that there are great rivalries in the south, but all you tools act like that is all there is. There's no possible way to measure any of this crap other than your opinions. Just because the media force-fed us the SEC this year doesn't make their superiority beyond questioning.

I'm not saying the Big 10 is better on the field right now. I'm saying both have looked pretty average this year. If the SEC turns out to be the best come bowl time, I'll readily say it. Then I fully expect a bunch of crap from all of you who will act like you knew it all along when you don't know anything for sure based on any facts.

And oh yeah, you nailed it Danny, PSU can't get loud without the entire crowd putting on the same colored shirt. Shut up. If Georgia did the same thing for a game you'd be going off on how much spirit everyone has.

FWIW, here's a bit from MGoBlog about the SEC this year:

[ QUOTE ]
The events of the past few weeks have caused me to radically revalue the SEC. To wit: it sucks. (For the record, the Big Ten also sucks. The Pac-10 is where it's at this year.) When Mississippi State takes down two supposed contenders, your conference is not good. What real evidence do we have of the SEC dominance that braindead sportswriters and southern yokels proclaim every fall? A brief SEC OOC dossier:

GOOD

LSU crushes VT. Georgia handles Oklahoma State who, yes, lost to Troy but is rounding into a decent Big 12 team. Auburn beats another decent Big 12 team, Kansas State.

LOOKED GOOD BUT UH...

Kentucky beats Louisville. Congratulations. Get in line behind Syracuse.

BAD

Auburn loses to USF. Tennessee is crushed by Cal. Mississippi State, competitive in conference, is obliterated by WVU. South Carolina struggles with awful UNC team. 'Bama loses to thoroughly mediocre FSU.

IRRELEVANT

Ole Miss loses to Mizzou, but they've also lost to every SEC team they've played so no points off.

That is the entire listing of SEC games against BCS competition and it's mostly bad. Mississippi State sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks sucks, sucks and they've beaten Auburn and Kentucky. 3-2 in the SEC Tennessee was crushed by 2-3 in the Pac-10 Cal. 4-1 in the SEC 'Bama lost to 2-3 in the ACC Florida State. So the SEC can suck it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The SEC could be the best conference in college football ever this year and it would still be overrated the way people down here talk about it.