Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: The Official \"gravida\" reaction thread

[ QUOTE ]
i think i was one of the people at your premiere that you didn't know.

but yeah, i'm assuming that's the last time i'll ever see the film.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? you should have said hey
Old 08-24-2007, 01:31 PM

i tried to, but you were busy...i don't want to say bitching...about the people who hadn't shown up to your premiere even though you had been to see theirs, etc.

you were pretty annoyed.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i tried to, but you were busy...i don't want to say bitching...about the people who hadn't shown up to your premiere even though you had been to see theirs, etc.

you were pretty annoyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, sorry about that

i was pretty stressed out.

how did the premiere go, in your opinion? anything we could have done better/differently?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

you were pretty annoyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, sorry about that

how did the premiere go, in your opinion? anything we could have done better/differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

an apology followed by a plying of information. sounds like...

yes. everything. how do you mean, though?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

you were pretty annoyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, sorry about that

[/ QUOTE ]

an apology followed by a plying of information. sounds like...

yes. everything. how do you mean, though?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i'm trying line up more screenings, and considering that was the first one i've ever done, i'm mostly looking for ways to maximize the experience for the audience. at least, ways that are feasible.

i'm sure i did things sub-optimally. i was just wondering if anything stood out
Old 08-24-2007, 02:00 PM

a question like that deserves an answer after a round of mini golf, not that i'll be able to give you an answer you like after that either, but i can try.

off the top of my head, though, i'd have to say that maybe not focusing so much on audience experience will relax an atmosphere quicker than you can say quick. you weren't able to have a good time at your own premiere, so any kind of audience that you'd want (?) didn't seem to either. i don't think things will always be like that, but more often than not you should probably relate to your film openings that way.

does this make enough sense? if i can think of anything later, i'll chime in again.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:17 PM

wow...mini golf...weird

so you're saying, have more fun with it?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:49 PM

i don't know about your ornery semantics, but the important thing is that next time you probably won't stress yourself out. it was a bit distressing to see someone who should be tingling in suspense and able to talk to people about it afterwards have to just toe the line to make the night go smoothly.

other than that, i guess, how do you see the promotional aspects of the premiere influencing the night itself?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:58 PM

I should probably mention that i don't think anything i have to say about this is important, not one iota. Your next film's going to be different anyway, since you're moving on, so your next opening will be different too.

I do have this thing with trying to mingle old friends with people I'm just meeting. I do my best to make sure that none of my old friends form cliques. Of course, with most of my old friends, I don't have to worry about that. A lot of them couldn't form a clique if they tried.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cincy,

well said, and i agree with a lot of what you said, but consider for a minute the possibility that the real climax of the film is much smaller, in terms of action, but much bigger than that in terms of real, long-term importance.

when she starts rubbing the lotion stuff on her stomach after he leaves, there's a moment in her eyes of real horror at what she almost just did. that's the moment where she first becomes a mother to this child, where it becomes real to her and not just some thing she has hide or an inconvenience that's cost her both a boyfriend and now a lover.

could that be the film's real climax? (i'm not saying it is, just suggesting it) if so, then you've got this: climax, crying, shirt, credits.

[/ QUOTE ]

i missed that bit the other day. for some reason, i thought you were referring to Guy as both the boyfriend and the lover, which didn't make sense.

are we, then, supposed to infer that the pregnancy is the reason for the absent boyfriend? It's not that that's an unlikely scenario, it happens, but I'm not sure there's a lot in the film supporting that idea. As in, there isn't anything tying it together -- we can just as easily infer that he was a bad boyfriend who doesn't even know about the pregnancy. ("deserving" something's pretty loose) Since she's willing to lie (albeit by omission) to Guy about it, her character supports a much broader interpretation of that.

Cutting the face out in an oval as opposed to just snipping the whole body out of the picture doesn't necessarily tell us anything either, except that she's a bit eccentric and vindictive -- but we don't know the reason. If she really didn't want to be reminded of him, she would have cut him out completely, don't you think?

Instead what we have is a character hiding her pain and anger (cutting out a face is pretty violent) as much as she's hiding her child. I do like the parallel between hiding the pregnancy and cutting out the boyfriend's face because of that. It sort of separates at the end (for me, anyway) because she has this baggage, and she can possibly realize that the baggage isn't in her belly; it's all around her.