Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Probability Question for David Sklansky

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, after speaking with a good friend of mine also in academia, I think letting her take the retest is too lenient, and unfair. It gives her "two bites at the apple" where the other students only had one, as my friend put it.

I will probably take his suggestion, and offer her the alternatives of either taking a zero for the test or escalating the situation to Academic Affairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If she confessed, it's not so bad. I'd say giving her a zero would be kinda [censored] after the confession actually, since you said it would be better for her if she confessed. Maybe have her retake it but give her a half score?

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, taking the zero IS far better than the alternative. If she had not come forward and I had to approach her, it almost certainly would have gone to academic affairs, in which case she would have failed the class.

Giving her a zero on the test is actually extremely lenient, since her lowest test score is dropped, just like everyone else's. This essentially takes her "pre-final" grade from a B- to a C. Big whoop.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude that a vital piece of information about dropping the lowest score. no question she HAS to take the deal.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I once had a situation where two students had identical responses on a multiple choice test except one of them got 95% and the other got 0%. I had given out two different versions of the test with subtle changes in the numbers. So for one problem I'd change the number 3 to 8 and I would still have the answers in the same order, with the correct answer to the other test in the same place. When the incident occured I reviewed the result with the class after the test, not mentioning any names. I pointed out that one student had gotten extremely unlucky and would have gotten 95% had they possesed the style of test from the student sitting next to them, but unfortunatly instead they got a 0. I marvelled at how unlucky this person happened to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be awesome if the cheater were the 95% guy, and the 0% was legit.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, what's the deal? You meet with her? You're killing me here. Inquiring minds...

[/ QUOTE ]

She came to my office after the exam, I went and got another prof to witness, and I asked her "So, what happened?" I.e., I did not actually make any accusation. She confessed the whole thing. I offered her the two options. escalate or plea bargain. She took the plea.

The End.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:39 AM

i don't really agree with the facebook thing as being evidence of cheating.

i have a friend that i know for a fact cheats off of someone who he isn't friends with on facebook. the other guy doesn't even know his answers are being copied; he just doesn't cover his paper very well.

fwiw, i do think these tests look suspect
Old 05-02-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A cheater would never copy off of a guy who would get a 0% on a multiple choice test.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A cheater would never copy off of a guy who would get a 0% on a multiple choice test.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes they would. Picked the right talent but got shafted.

chez
Old 05-06-2007, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But damn the girl sitting in front of me right now (sits in front every class) is SMOKING HOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinly veiled brag, Boro. I knew you were up to something with this thread.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:01 PM

An almost unrelated update.

Was talking to another prof in the department about the resolution of this case, and he told me about one he has. Much more severe. Apparently a physics major cheated on the final exam, take home portion, of advanced undergraduate E&M. The prof assigned 2 questions from Jackson on the take home section, and the kid virtually copied line by line from the solution manual. The prof then went back and checked his homeworks, and sure enough, the homeworks show the same thing.

I have not heard what the resolution of this is yet, but a physics major cheating multiple times on homeworks and then on the final exam will almost certainly end his academic career in the department.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, after speaking with a good friend of mine also in academia, I think letting her take the retest is too lenient, and unfair. It gives her "two bites at the apple" where the other students only had one, as my friend put it.

I will probably take his suggestion, and offer her the alternatives of either taking a zero for the test or escalating the situation to Academic Affairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck, that still seems too harsh for my taste (gender and attractiveness of the cheater has nothing to do with it). But I don't know how many points the test was worth. In most college classes I took a zero on any one test would make you fail the class. Maybe just an F on the test?
Old 05-12-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This essentially takes her "pre-final" grade from a B- to a C. Big whoop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never mind then