Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Does Villian have odds to call with pockets??

There have bee seveal threads about shortstacking winrates and if I remember correctly the general belief is that you can win about 1ptbb/100 against reasonable opponents.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:50 PM

I think UTGs call with 55 was fine, he just about had implied odds to set mine against you and it's likely the other guy was going to come along too. I think his mistake was limping preflop, he should probably either raise or fold. It's pretty close though and not hugely +/- EV.

Your analysis of the other players is interesting. At higher levels then you opponents will be paying attention to the stack sizes of who is left to act, but at NL10 this isn't going to happen. You just need to play really simple, straight forward poker.

Because you are a good limit player you are probably used to playing with people who are at least reasonable. When you are playing at NL10 you should assume that your opponent is a total donk, until you know otherwise.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:33 PM

What I have been noticing is that amount of cold calling raises. I always had one of HUD numbers tuned into CC% and anything above 1% I assumed the guy was a fish.

NL - I see 10% often and many 20% players

IN PT the average BB/100 is (-5.50bb/100) SOMEBODY is making money LOL

niediam - 1ptbb/100 against reasonable opponents? What the heck [ QUOTE ]
1ptbb/100

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyway - I have to think it is more then that if played optimally but we'll see. Could be right. At least I'll have a real answer . . . . . . at some point!
Old 11-29-2007, 05:10 AM

Yeah cold calling raises is fine, when you are in lp you can cold call loads of suited stuff if you know the raiser is the kind to stack off with a big pair regardless. Calling with pps to set mine is good to. If you are at a more aggressive table then 3 betting rather than calling can be good but this depends a lot on the early raiser.

In limit I always remember cold calling only ever being ok when the pot was multiway so you had your implied odds. In NL calling even HU is often fine, especially when you are both deeper than 100BB, and in position.

I think the more useful fish numbers in NL are went to showdown and won $ showdown. These give a good indication if the player only shows down the nuts or is happy to call to showdown with any old crap. Also useful is the river aggression and bet frequency, finding somebody who wont call a river value bet but will almost always bluff 1/2+ of the pot on the river when you check to them are gold. In limit you can get 1BB out of them, in NL by the river that 1/2 pot could easily be 15ptbb!