Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: I may have been cheated...

Pfap, you must have been toking some of real good bud last night. Now that you've cleared your head you can look at it in the bright light of day and see that you weren't cheated.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:44 PM

I doubt you were cheated. I wouldn't bring it up. Not only that, but your $40 loss alone doesn't warrant you not going back next week. Onwards and upwards.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But here's what REALLY makes me question it all. On the turn I knew he was drawing and I knew I was best. I felt I had earned enough, and it was better long-term life EV to just end it there. I bet because I had to, but told him to fold because I had a strong made hand. He had been tanking for a while up to that point, but he even said afterwards that once I said I had a made hand, it made it easier for him to call. He was fearing I had a pair with a better draw. So if he knew the river gave him the flush, it became a snap call for him. On the other hand, he loves to call with long draws anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I did my math right, you pushed $160 into ~$130 pot. If he had two clubs and any broadway card, then he's got 14-15 outs to two pair or better (your strong hand could easily just be AK). He still doesn't have the right odds to call, of course, but this is the sort of call that poor players will gleefully make all night. Even with just two clubs, I know plenty of bad players who will call here, especially at the end of the night if they are stuck.

Also, if he stacked the deck to give himself the flush, I just can't imagine that he would ever consider bailing on his plan because he thought that he might have accidentally given you a better one. And of course, if he knew the river club was coming, I really don't think he'd talk about his thought process during the hand.

So I really doubt you were cheated, at least not in this hand.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:10 PM

Thanks a bunch for the feedback, folks, and for slogging through all that. Yeah, I write too much, but I just wanted to get a lot of ideas across. I felt like I was making it too strong of a case that he cheated, so I tried to temper that, but apparently either I did that too much or I just don't have the right perspective.

I'm not trying to find a way to get over steaming over a bad beat, not at all. I was completely fine with his call and completely fine with the results (aside from a slight stinging sensation). I WANT these kind of calls, and he makes them all the time, and I love it. I take bad beats very well (if only the rest of my game were as good), and think I played the hand well for the players and situation. It just seems a lot of coincidences around this hand. I wasn't even considering that something was wrong until someone else mentioned it to me on the drive home.

I don't think he stacked the deck. I think that he either deliberately or inadvertently glimpsed the river card when the burn after the turn was exposed. He seemed torn on calling when he thought I had a bigger draw, but almost instantly called when he knew I didn't.

It's not a $40 loss (actually $13, I had him covered), it's a $200 loss. But yeah, it's really just $13. This is the smallest game I play, so no biggie. And this wasn't the only thing to give me a weird feeling through the night, overall it just got a bit more out of hand than usual, and I have another standing invitation with another group (not poker) on the same night, so I'll just take next week to do that instead.

Again, thanks for the responses. It's good sometimes just to get an outside perspective, since those of us in the mix sometimes can't see around us very well.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:29 PM

tl;dr
Old 11-28-2007, 02:11 AM

Let it go.

The mental and emotional tolls on you aren't worth whatever you think you can get out of spending any more time on this. Do something else for a few weeks, then when you are sure you've let it go, head on back.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:30 AM

leave while your ahead next time. your alarm going off was a warning something was going to happen.

jk

i read some of it but not all. if you think they are your friends, it probably was just a bad beat. if there has been cheating like rigging the deck in the past then you may have a point.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Highly unlikely I'm beat, but I know he'll call a push, so I call to assess the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Forget about being cheated and concentrate on this.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 PM

I STILL can't figure out why you thought half of your "this is fishy" reasons had anything to do with this particular hand, as far as being cheated...

lay off the vegetable material, ya freak...
Old 11-28-2007, 03:20 PM

Heh. I was fairly sober while posting. I was just trying to establish character.

I was just worried that this game I love may have been compromised, and I panicked a bit.

Also, haven't said this yet, congrats on Modhood, LL. Now you get to do a lot more work. Whee! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Seriously, tho', you're a perfect choice to keep the riff raff in line.