Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Another \"Am I a D-bag\" thread

He was a jerk but you are really escalating it by directly confronting him about it.
If some d-bag wants to ask every dealer how much I tipped on every single hand it would bug me and I would thinkk they were an idiot but directly confronting him with, "who the hell do you think you are" is too much.

I also agree that the dealer should not be telling others how much you tipped.

I would also be somewhat curious about the angle on the newb you called him on a couple weeks prior.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would also be somewhat curious about the angle on the newb you called him on a couple weeks prior.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was first to act on the river, and it got checked around. He was first to show, however he held his cards in his hands and pretended not to be paying attention. Dealer said at least 3 times "your first" to him or some variant, however he played dumb and waited until his opponent turned over his hand. Then, after seeing he had a winner, villain turned over his hand.

When I said something to him "you know you were first to flip," he said that he couldn't hear because his earphones were in. This is someone who has been playing cards for years, and he had been able to hold conversations perfectly fine with his earphones in, so I gave a sarcastic "uh huh" to him. He immediately got red in the face and shouted "are you calling me a liar?" I kind of shrugged, and that was also pretty much the end of it. At the end of the session, I said to him "if you really couldn't hear, then I apologize."

Again, I should've probably stayed out of it, but my pushy self got in the way of a peaceful poker session.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, I should've probably stayed out of it, but my pushy self got in the way of a peaceful poker session.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like your "pushy self" goes around with a chip on his shoulder looking for arguments. The best way to have a peaceful poker session is not to take the bait of jerks.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:38 PM

So you think it's ok to get involved in something that doesn't involve you (an "angle" where villain doesn't show his cards first...even though that isn't even an angle, it's just being kind of a jerk) but you get mad when that same player puts himself into YOUR business at another time?

Yeah that makes you a bit of a d-bag. Seems like you were just looking for a way to get into it with this guy. And for all anyone knows this guy wouldn't have said a word in this situation if you hadn't gotten into his business before.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:22 PM

I agree that the 'angle' from a couple weeks prior was a really unnecessary confrontation.
Whether his not showing was appropriate or not I think that giving the sarcastic "uh huh" is practically begging for some sort of response.

Yes, people are jerks at the table. But it seems OP can't keep himself from starting stuff up with people he doesn't like.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, people are jerks at the table. But it seems OP can't keep himself from starting stuff up with people he doesn't like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I believe this is my main problem. I gotta work on this.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you think it's ok to get involved in something that doesn't involve you (an "angle" where villain doesn't show his cards first...even though that isn't even an angle, it's just being kind of a jerk) but you get mad when that same player puts himself into YOUR business at another time?

Yeah that makes you a bit of a d-bag. Seems like you were just looking for a way to get into it with this guy. And for all anyone knows this guy wouldn't have said a word in this situation if you hadn't gotten into his business before.

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly u are the villain from the story no?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:57 PM

OP,

i think it's clear villain was a bigger douche, and depending on the circumstances it's either more douchey to engage someone like that or it's douchey to let his douchey actions go un-confronted. you probably should have ignored his tipping comment.

all,

as regards to the tipping thing. in games where you might get uninvited if you tip "small", tipping a larger amount should not be considered an issue of fairness but a cost for being in the game. i think it's pretty ridiculous for dealers to be making stripper wages. in big games that OP plays in, there could be more than 10 >$1000 pots per hour. tipping something like %2 results in just ludicrous hourly wages. it may be a prudent thing to do for other reasons, but not fairness.