Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: .

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just be careful, I've seen more falang on big bikes vs trucks than I care to remember

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean? You've actually seen people getting hit by trucks?

Having just arrived in bangkok, I can't imagine riding a bike here... but would you advise against it in smaller towns and rural areas?

I ride a motorcycle back in the states fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Bikes (and Jeeps) vs trucks. Dudes on bikes that can't control them sliding on wet roads. Mangled wreckage of bikes.

I wouldn't necessarily advise against it, especially knowing you ride a bike back home, but I think a lot of people can't handle the power of the bike (maybe they've just been riding scooters and can't handle the big bikes) or the roads are too chaotic for them or they're drunk. I don't know. People get dumb over there or don't understand the Thai rules for driving, I'm not sure. There are something like 10,000 accidents (car and bike) involving tourists every year on Phuket, and about 175 die. The Phuket Gazette always has some morbid numbers.

I've also heard that sometimes the big bikes get abused, so be sure to keep a number on you for the bike rental place incase it [censored] out on you on a big hill. I am also not really sure on the insurance policies.

I was once in Phuket for bike week (http://www.phuketbikeweek.com/), that was pretty awesome. I think a lot of people rent bikes and tour the North as well. It is still a great way to see the island, and a fun way to get around (the roads are amazing, hairpinned, curvy, elephants are spotted, etc etc) so just be cautious, I guess.

Check out:
http://www.trv.net/bigbike/index.htm
Or visit Patong BigBike. Their website is under construction, but they are on 39/18 Rat-U-Thit Rd. just near
Patong beach.
Also you might want to read this for a bit of info on the driving rules, fueling up etc on Phuket
http://www.knowphuket.com/driving.htm
Old 11-24-2007, 09:54 PM

im lookin for a cheap beach-area small apt for a single guy. how much usd per month approx?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im lookin for a cheap beach-area small apt for a single guy. how much usd per month approx?

[/ QUOTE ]

High season now. If you want it for less than 6mos I can find one pretty quickly for around $750/mo

If you want if for at least 6 mos prob get one closer to $500/mo
Old 11-25-2007, 03:41 AM

my friends have a hockey game tonight if anyone wants to check it out for something a little different. PM me for details if you want to go.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:58 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 11-25-2007, 09:22 AM

We got to Bangkok tonight if anyone wants to meet up and party.... me, mlagoo, tufat, etc.....
Old 11-25-2007, 11:11 AM

i wouldnt mind getting wasted tonight
gf just left so im bored
Closed Thread