Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you hate Happy Turkey Day?
I hate it - it should be "Happy Thanksgiving" 80 57.97%
Either is fine. Who cares? 49 35.51%
results thx 9 6.52%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2007, 01:05 AM

Default Re: What risks to online poker should I consider as a Full-time SnG pl

Only because I have had some very memorable times in the Netherlands, I will answer your otherwise short-cut, "I dont want to look it up" question.

In the US legality of online poker is still a very open question. Either litigation or new legislatios will change this from "who knows" to "this is it." Right now US players, with a little effort, can play online if they want. It may get more difficult for US players to move money in the near future, but little else will change, as a practical matter, until the new legislation or litigation occurs.

In the Netherlands and the EU, there is little question: online poker play is perfectly legal. The EU is in the process of eliminating any left over laws that protect national gambling operations from other EU competition and it is only these laws that could affect online poker play.

Your tax liabilities in the Netherlands are beyond my knowledge - but it is certainly legal to play; even if there is a Dutch law against it, the EU rules trump.

Skallagrim
Old 11-24-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: What risks to online poker should I consider as a Full-time SnG pl

I thank you both very much for your answer. It's 6AM here right now, and to be honest I've been staying awake just to see if anybody would post on this topic. I think after reading these posts it's "safe" to go to bed lol!!

I will look into the "EU trade officials" matter tomorrow, to see what I can do from my end here in Europe.

Again thanks alot for taking the time to clarify the situation for me and for others wondering about it.