Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Re: what am i supposed to do here

I think I would have bet more on that flop. I would probably bet the size of the pot or maybe even a little more since it was such a drawy board.

As played, I do not like the shove. He's only calling with a hand that already has you beat or a huge draw which is not that big of a dog. If he has a hand like QdJd, he's actually a favorite. If you call his raise, the effective stack size is 12500 with 7500 in the pot. This is enough to still be able to get away from the hand. By you calling his check-raise, he knows you have something, he's probably putting you on AK or KQ or maybe a high flush draw. What makes this really hard is that you made a small flop bet for the texture of the flop. Depending on his skill level, at this point it's a possibility he may have sensed this as weakness and check-raised with a draw or nothing at all. Anyway, calling here leaves you more options. You can see another card and get more information. If a diamond comes it may prevent him from leading out and if not, at least get you off the hand. If the blank comes as it did, see what his action is. He may bet smaller to keep you around or may shove all in which may get you off the hand. Either way, there is little equity in pushing all-in on that flop. Even if he had check-raised you with a mediocre holding like KQ, you probably won't get a call out of him by pushing the flop and may win more on later streets.