Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 05:38 AM

Default Re: How far can 10 grand get me in Europe?

If you want to stay in Europe for a long period and money is an issue I think staying in southern or eastern Europe most of the time is the way to go. While norther Europe has a lot to offer it is expensive compared to south and east, and the Scandinavian countries are not recommended if you are travelling on a budget and dont want to stay in a tent. Some people might find Germany expensive, but Danes travel to Germany for cheap goods, Swedes travel to Denmark for cheap goods, and Norwegians travel to Sweden for cheap goods.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 AM

yeah, defo blitz the north europe and spend the time there doing cultural stuff maybe not getting hammered all the time cos drinks are so expensive in london. Head for eastern/southern europe and spend more on drink here/having basic fun.

Good luck OP, have a blast.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:50 AM

In a bigger German city(600k+ people or more) you have to spend around: 50€ or 65(?)$

hostel: ~20€
breakfast:
-you get breakfast in most hostels in Germany
-but if you want to go out for eating breakfast ~10€
-if you buy something at a discount backer ~3€
lunch:
-if you cook something for you in the kitchen at the hostel ~2-4€
-if you buy some fast food (burger king etc)5-7€
-if you go in a normal restaurant (or even a great one) you can have a "mittagstisch" for 8-12€
diner:
-the same like lunch but if yo gou to a restaurant you have to pay around ~20€+

Sightseeing
-museums entrance etc around 10€ smaller museums are cheaper.

Nightlife
-discotheque entrence around 10-15€ and often you have to drink at least for 5€. cost of a beer is around 2.5€. Discotheques have a strict dress code in Europe. Most of the time sneakers are not allowed (chuck allstars are allowed because they are modern but many others are not).

-bars: Theres no entrance fee and the people there are much friendlier than in a discotheque
a beer costs around 1.2€ (0.2).

Most other European citys have the same costs just the eastern country's are cheaper.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:56 AM

Do you play poker? Is there any way of generating some income as you travel, or is this not something you want to do? You could extend your trip almost indefinitely if that was the case.

It's been said already but I would definitely work out what you want to do in advance, and book your tickets beforehand. Plane/train tickets go up a lot last-minute.

As for cost of living, it all depends on exactly what you want. You've been given a lot of varying costs from a lot of different posters saying what *they* paid but the range really is anywhere from like $60/day to $200/day, not including travel expenses. Do you want to visit a lot of tourist attractions, or just experience the local culture? The latter is obviously a lot cheaper, and better imo.