Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Female Singer/Songwriter Thread

So I happen to have some free time and I haven't seen her mentioned in this thread yet, so here goes with one of my recent favorites, who I had the great fortune to watch perform last month at the Mercury Lounge here in NYC:

Nina Nastasia(link to her myspace page)

Nina Nastasia is the girl you want to spend an afternoon with on the grass in the park and hope that she loves you enough to want to sing to you for hours and never stop.

As I mentioned before, I was lucky enough to see her last month, and it was just awesome. She kept us standing there fixed on her voice, enthralled for over an hour. None of us there ever wanted it to end; when she finally finished, it was as if a spell had broken and we were all jarred back to reality wishing that that feeling would never end.

She's released five albums:

Dogs 2000
The Blackened Air 2002
Run to Ruin 2003
On Leaving 2006
You Follow Me 2007

They're all fantastic, though my favorites are probably Dogs and On Leaving

It seems that most of the songs of hers on youtube are live performances with [censored] audio, but I'll post a couple anyway:

Search results for Nina Nastasia on YouTube

Also, a couple of other youtube links I found that weren't from live shows. The first link is a video of some random person sketching the cover art to one of her albums to one of her songs, which also happens to be one of my favorite songs. The second link is a random song, I'm not sure exactly what the situation was where they recorded that.

Dogs(the vid is just some dude sketching her, so you can minimize it and just listen to the audio).
Odd Said the Doe - I think I like Jim White's drumming as much as the actual song in this vid.