Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Re: A quick note on stats and convergence

[ QUOTE ]
I believe you looked for this thread: AQo on the Button, am I right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's the one and obviously other people were clearly making the point about sample size before this post by me. I simply wanted to show that a situation like this is not unusual with a little relatively simple probability formula. Thanks for posting the link.

I will note that VP$IP converges for most players well before just about any other stat and I will make use of it earlier as a consequence. Especially for players who are involved in more hands you get more information on what they are willing to play.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Re: A quick note on stats and convergence

This makes a great addition to the topic I started about stat-reads vs. real reads.

But since stat-reads are not accurate until you get a rather large hand sample on your opponent, then I think this also means that a large majority of all the hands that get posted here simply don’t offer enough info on the opponents. Most of the time we have to make do with a stat read on 50 hands or less, seldom do you see a real read.
However that does add to the value of the replies since you get more replies discussing standard play in any given situation, and even several ifs regarding the different styles your opponent could be playing (TAG / LAG / fish / maniac / rock / weak-tight / etc.), so having unreliable stats doesn’t matter all that much.
It DOES make a big difference on the specific hand that was played, but since we don’t post results, it’s all about the most +EV decisions…
I’m not trying to make a point here, it’s just a random thought of mine…

Regarding the matter at hand: for the non-mathematicians amongst us (or the ones too lazy to do their own research):

As of how many hands (more or less) does the VP$IP-stat become reliable?
And the PFR?
AF?
%WtSD?
W$SD?
Other often used stats?