Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Shannon Shorr thinking of quitting ...

Shannon, f.uck the haters, they are just jealous. If you have banked as much as you imply, then good for you. Enjoy it and invest it well.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:58 AM

Like Barry says in Ace on the River, if all he had done was play poker and win at the end of his life, he would have been a failure. IMO poker should either be something you do on the side for extra money / enjoyment, or something you do hardcore for a few years only to get you somewhere better.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:27 AM

Nice Post Shannon
Old 11-15-2007, 05:30 AM

Anybody who has been on the live scene (MTTs and cash games) for an extended period and lives in Vegas knows that Mr. Schorrs story is fairly common. Its a whole different ballgame living in Vegas where there a a million places to have leaks (-ev table games, girls, tables at nightclubs, dinner at world-class restaurants, hotel suites, etc) Spending alot of money in those spots tends to snowball into your poker game and affects your play.

I remember satelliting in to $2000 PL at WSOP 2003, going home only to have a friend call that he had 4 "smokin hot" girls in his hot tub. I ended up stayin out till 4am and showed up at he tourny and donked offf my stack in about two hours. I was pissed off so I went and donked off some more money playing BJ, went home to take a nap and woke up and bought into a game where i could recoup those losses as fast as possible.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:54 AM

Re: Grinding2Ecstasy

I don't think Barry is the example you want to point to to support your ideas about poker.

Barry Greenstein still plays poker for a living. It's just that he's made donations to charity with large portions of his winnings.

He's spent more time in physical cardrooms than almost anyone else his age. And he still plays and very full live tournament schedule. In many ways he is (as he hinted at on "the Poker Road") "Father Poker" to the young generation of internet poker whiz kids.

Not since his college days has Barry played poker for extra money/enjoyment. He's been a hardcore poker player for over 30 years. I don't see how he fits into your view of what poker should be.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:36 AM

not saying what poker 'should be' or that Barry fits into that. Was quoting him, and the basic idea that there's more to life than poker and Barry has only been at it so long because he is a) exceptionally good at it, b) a big spender who needs to support his lifestyle. Besides, he's had children, advanced education, and a serious real job.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:55 AM

Shannon,

It takes a lot of balls to be completely honest about your financial situation on a public forum. Not sure what your motivation is, but you have my respect.

Of course this honesty is going to bring on the haters...but they are haters for a reason. Jealousy.

It's so easy to sound tough on these forums...real life is a different story.