Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Players in Your Game Getting Angry...

[ QUOTE ]

we only play .5/1 cash but everyone buys in for 200BB usually and we straddle and double straddle sometimes so the game plays really big. for us a $200 losing night could be a little rough.

any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like stakes are too high for a work game. It's not worth creating animosity at work for a poker game.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:09 PM

Wow, this thread just makes me happy that I'm usually the biggest handful in our weekly donkament. Mostly everyone is just happy to be there and drink beer and some smoke P.O.T. Very chill.

One of the first times I went, when I was an outsider, I mixed it up with a regular because he was either very stoned or very drunk and was dealing a hand but sort of spacing out and taking forever to deal the streets while he had some rambling semi-coherent conversation with someone else. We ended up sniping at each other but ultimately worked through it and became mo'fos.

Then last week some knucklehead guest who was in town and knew the host and some others who plays B&M and online was pissing me off to no end. People were worshipping at his feet about how awesome he was at poker and he stupidly let it go to his head. He spouted things like how dumb it is to read poker books with some incredibly retarded logic to back that up and he took advantage of the friendly game vibe by only showing his cards at showdown if he won (he got everyone to show theirs first, I just didn't want to get involved). Even on the hand I busted him in a 3-way all-in he wouldn't flip his cards until I told him to and made a big stink about it and how he didn't have to do it, etc. So glad people like that aren't part of our regular group.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:57 AM

unfortunatly this guy is one of my bosses but if it gets more crazy i'll as both of our boss (who plays too) to say something. he goes off at people about their play and its definitly out of line.

the hand that set him off this time is...

one caller and he is in the Sb, im in the BB. i check with J9 suited and the flop is T96 one of my suite. every one checks and on the turn a blank of my suite comes. i bet thinking i might be good (about half the pot) and get called by my boss in the SB. the river flushes for me and he bets... i raise about 4.5 times his PSB. he freaks and calls yelling about how i lucked into the flush but he has to call.... he flips 87 for a flopped st8 and yells and curses at me for a solid 5 minutes about how i had no business in the hand in the first place... he butchered the recollection of the hand and really weirded everyone out with his tirade....

pretty uncomfortable and kind of a lose lose situation.....
Old 11-15-2007, 02:29 AM

Yeah that sucks, and of course there is no telling him that you checked and saw the hand free whereas he actually completed the blind with 87 and had even less business being in the hand than you did.

And what the hell is he doing checking with a flopped set?!

But if he is consistantly angry like this then at the end of the day it is probably best not inviting him to the game, you have to decide which will put more strain on the boss/employee relationship. Not inviting him, or inviting him and having him angry at you for cleaning him out.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:46 AM

Yeah, I dunno, outside of someone outright robbing me, I can't imagine anything making me blood-boiling upset at a game. I'll get a little frustrated at slow drunken play, but that's about it.

The OP is a warning to play only money you can afford to lose. If the stakes matter enough to cause you anguish, you're not playing your best game and are setting yourself up for failure.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:00 PM

So he flops a straight, checks the flop, checks the turn, and then gets pissed off at you when you river a flush?

Did he just expect you to open fold to his un-bet monster?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:42 PM

There is a host of a weekly game that behaves like the OPs boss. To me it is just a sign of immaturity. What cracks me up is how we, yeah me too, continue to attend his games. The game is not good, but it is the only regular weekly game. I've been meaning to hijack it with a cash game on another night, but my crew is afraid to try a cash game. They only know tournaments from TV, so that is what they want to play.