Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: 55 UTG

Even at the loosest table an UTG shove is not going to get looked up by *any* PP, unless it's a short stack. Even if they do, it's only around 30% that anyone has a PP better than 55.

When considering shove/fold, I think a lot of players place too much emphasis on position because they're worried about running into AK or a big PP. Position is important, but the likelihood of players having JJ+, AK is pretty low, less than 20% even for shoving into nine players.

Fold equity is what it's all about: they fear you have exactly what you have, a PP, against which any two unpaired cards is a dog and they will fold unless short. And if they have a PP, they typically have no clue regarding your PP range, and unless short most will over-fold, worried about being a 4.5:1 dog.

I don't worry so much about position here. My M is at the inflection point where where soon my stack utility will be taking really big hits and I will be hamstrung. My advantage is that I anticipate that reality ahead of my opponents and the poker gods have given me a PP at just the right moment. I must pursue my advantage.