Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (10/29 - spoilers possible)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kaplan made a good point tonight. Jamie Gold, for someone who aspires to be the world's greatest bluffer, doesn't value bet nearly enough. I don't recall seeing anybody check down as many winners on this show as him. Sometimes he does it so quickly it seems like he's not even considering a bet.

For someone who is notorious bluffer, it seems +EV to bet when you have it, too. That's just me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not only that, but it also seems like courting disaster when he bluffs big next time. I'm sure that most players picked up on his betting patterns.

[/ QUOTE ]

hes bad at poker
Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 AM

Whos that "Gi" fellow? The one who Doyle Brunson said is the only one on the table who could afford the stakes?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whos that "Gi" fellow? The one who Doyle Brunson said is the only one on the table who could afford the stakes?

[/ QUOTE ]
Guy Laliberte. He's a welcome sight at any high stakes poker table.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:20 AM

no way, he made the FT of the WPT championship, that puts him in the top 6 or so of all poker players.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:38 AM

I'm not sure if this has been discussed in other threads about the show. Someone (AJ or Gabe?) made a comment tonight about Phil H putting his hand in front of his mouth when he has a good hand. I have noticed him do that before and can't recall ever seeing him bluff while doing that...

I will have to zip through some of the other recent episodes and see if it's consistent.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:39 AM

Seeing all the cash on the table for next week's episode, do they not play with $25K chips anymore?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:51 AM

I think it's pretty likely that Jman misread his hand given how quickly he mucked his hand. I doubt that he would have thrown it away so quickly otherwise, but I could be wrong.

Also after the hand where Gold semibluffed the turn with his straight draw against Negreanu's K high and instachecked the river when he hit, he said something along the lines of "well you know I'm pumping the river no matter what." Yeah, UNLESS he actually hits! Then he'll instacheck it down, lol. At least Sammy for being a maniacal bluffer is always making value bets when he manages to have the best hand.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also after the hand where Gold semibluffed the turn with his straight draw against Negreanu's K high and instachecked the river when he hit, he said something along the lines of "well you know I'm pumping the river no matter what." Yeah, UNLESS he actually hits! Then he'll instacheck it down, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was a classic lol. What a fish.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if this has been discussed in other threads about the show. Someone (AJ or Gabe?) made a comment tonight about Phil H putting his hand in front of his mouth when he has a good hand. I have noticed him do that before and can't recall ever seeing him bluff while doing that...

I will have to zip through some of the other recent episodes and see if it's consistent.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm pretty sure it's every time he is in a big pot. He did it when he bluffed Matusow iirc.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:57 AM

Yo, I should have commented on the Hellmuth insurance thing earlier.

First off, Phil is one of my favorite guys in poker. He's not cheating anyone.

I'm going off memory here....
The deal was only partially clear in my head at the time of the insurance. it was obviously a good deal for me. when we chopped, i didn't know what we were supposed to do, though since insurance naturally is protection against something bad happening (in this case, a bad beat) and something bad didn't happen, my first thought was that a chop went to me. but then i started thinking about it and i realized that the deal was good for me even if a chop was a chop. so i was confused and decided to let it go. this is just what i remember thinking... as of now, i have no recollection of the cards and i haven't read the above.

The next day phil runs into mori at the coffee shop and tells mori that he should have paid me. Phil emailed me to tell me he owed me 10k. I thought about it some more and told him not to pay me. I said this b/c if i had won with a chop, then that implied some ridiculous vig for me (i still had a decent edge counting a chop as a chop). He insisted on paying me, I told him we'd flip a coin for it, then he said he'd pay me $6k. he paid me $6k the first time i saw him at the series.

ba