Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: San Diego in an AC world

No, I'm quoting the seagulls in "Finding Nemo", which is what your last reply sounded like.

As to "not asking me to live in your society", what exactly are you trying to do if not that? Is AC discussion on the Internet just a circlejerk that goes on forever, or do you have some kind of plan for setting AC-land into motion? If it's the latter, presumably it's on US territory (lol no ancaps anywhere else), so it's certainly going to affect me and I'm certainly going to oppose it.

[ QUOTE ]
Might makes right! It never gets old!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, life isn't fair. Now, why should I support AC-land if the response to "San Diego is burning to the ground" is "mine mine mine mine mine"?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So San Siego is under some significant stress ATM and Goverment is providing a substantial response. How 'bout the AC'ers on here tell us how much this situation would be better for us in an AC world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elliot,

How 'bout you tell me why I should be forced at gunpoint to provide somone in San Diego with a service that they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure: because it's the law. Now it's your turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I presume you would have been pro slavery when that was the law right? I presume you are pro three strikes rule for cannabis offences because that is the law right? I presume you are also pro death penalty right?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is three more questions any you have not yet answered mine, which I asked first. Are you refusing to answer my question?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I'm quoting the seagulls in "Finding Nemo", which is what your last reply sounded like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, they're saying "mine" about stuff that isn't actually theirs, just like you. Gimme gimme gimme, mine mine mine.

[ QUOTE ]
As to "not asking me to live in your society", what exactly are you trying to do if not that?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to have a little society where you and a bunch of other people let someone take your money and spend it on fire trucks or roads or whatever, go right ahead, I have no interest in stopping you from doing that.

[ QUOTE ]
Is AC discussion on the Internet just a circlejerk that goes on forever, or do you have some kind of plan for setting AC-land into motion? If it's the latter, presumably it's on US territory (lol no ancaps anywhere else), so it's certainly going to affect me and I'm certainly going to oppose it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you might be negatively affected. That doesn't mean I'm trying to impose anything upon you.

DUCY?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Might makes right! It never gets old!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, life isn't fair. Now, why should I support AC-land if the response to "San Diego is burning to the ground" is "mine mine mine mine mine"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not asking you to support anything.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:58 PM

Adanthar,

I find myself respecting you more and more. First, for all your recent work on the Absolute Scandal and now your posts in this thread. I usually don't debate with them anymore because it seems pointless.

Same old arguments that seem to make sense to them but not many others. Taxation is theft, might makes right, why should I be forced to do things I don't want to do, etc.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How 'bout the AC'ers on here tell us how much this situation would be better for us in an AC world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhere between this much:

and this much:

OK, now your turn.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you might be negatively affected. That doesn't mean I'm trying to impose anything upon you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yada yada yada, two sides of the same coin, blah blah blah. Frankly, I obviously don't care and I'm still going to oppose it. Instead of endless rhetorical questions that actually support my case - because any disinterested observer is going to look at "tell me why you force me to support San Diego at gunpoint" atrocity of a post and be horrified - your best chance of getting me to *not* oppose it lies in persuading me that you don't sound like a seagull.

Here, I'll even toss you an easier one having to do with poker (I assume you do actually play.) How do online poker sites work in AC-land?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Same old arguments that seem to make sense to them but not many others. Taxation is theft, might makes right, why should I be forced to do things I don't want to do, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

ANd the same old runaround answers... "no it's not, because I said so" and "no it doesn't" and "because we'll beat you up" (see question 2).
Old 10-23-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ANd the same old runaround answers... "no it's not, because I said so" and "no it doesn't" and "because we'll beat you up" (see question 2).

[/ QUOTE ]

No the answer is: you revealed your preferences by staying in the US of A. Furthermore the fact that there is no AC society for you to move to is a clear indication that it's not a profitable offer on the market for social systems, i.e. lacking sufficient demand to overcome the setup cost
Old 10-23-2007, 01:51 PM

This thread is one big FGM (Fallacy Generation Machine).

In a free market world wildfires would be fought by firms that specialize in this task. Just like there are firms that specialize in fighting oil rig fires, for example. Red Adair and his company flew all over the world to fight these fires. At any given moment somewhere in the world is a wildfire that needs to be controlled. Competition would ensure that these companies were efficient, competent, and low cost (compared to the alternative of letting everything burn down at least). These firms would be contracted by the insurance companies that indemnify the home and business owners in the area threatened by the fires. They don't do this now because it isn't their job; the government tells people they will fight the fires. In fact, I have no specific knowledge, but I would be willing to bet some non-zero amount of money that it is illegal for non-government agencies to engage in combating wildfires (unless they are contracted by the government maybe).

Insurance companies have a HUGE financial incentive to control wildfires. They have to pay out to every policy owner who's property is destroyed. Meanwhile, the government has little incentive beyond political pressure. The valiant men and women who are currently fighting the fires would be just as valiant in a free market. Meanwhile, insurance companies would have direct and large financial incentives to develop new and innovative firefighting techniques and technologies that we can't even imagine, as well as to incentivize preventative maintenance of wildfire-prone property.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Here, I'll even toss you an easier one having to do with poker (I assume you do actually play.) How do online poker sites work in AC-land?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard working private citizens expose scandals where they occur and use the internet to explain to people why they should pull their money out of dodgy blacklisted sites. Sorry that'll never happen will it noone will ever work selflessly for the good of others to expose cheaters how silly of me.