Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: English Football. (long)

We rarely played continental football. Passing it around the centre backs a few times then aiming a long ball at the strikers doesn't count as that. Continental football relies on players (particularly in central midfield) being comfortable in posession and we simply don't have enough top quality players who are that. Even the likes of Gerrard and Lampard are somewhat lacking in that area. I don't think it's entirely a technical issue, pressure from the media/fear of mistakes at times has just resulted in a scared approach and a desire to get rid of the ball asap which doesn't help at all, particularly in the major games. How often have you seen us resort to camping on our 18 yard line and bypassing the midfield almost entirely when under pressure from any good side?

Lampard I think has been tremendously overrated then underrated in turn. The flack he's getting right now is ridiculous. That said I think a number of times those goals masked a very average or downright poor performance. Gerrard hasn't been that much better, I do think he is a better player though. I'm sure in time he'll end up getting the [censored] booing as well. My comment is more frustration that player of Scholes' talent was so criminally misused IMO.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:37 PM

I'd be interested in people's reaction to this, which seems on-topic with the OP. I'm American and don't have the chance to follow EPL as much as I'd like, but I've heard people say that there are many more talented players who are left off the national team. Specifically, one friend claimed that there is resistance to giving black players much of a role on the teams. Any truth to that?
Old 10-22-2007, 02:44 PM

Total opposite if anything, we tend to pick players on reputation/name moreso than what actually works as a team. Regards racism, nah.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Total opposite if anything, we tend to pick players on reputation/name moreso than what actually works as a team. Regards racism, nah.

[/ QUOTE ]
It definitely seems to be based on names...names constantly mentioned in the press...names that for the most part are white boys. Its not blantant racism, its more subtle.

That being said, I don't think there are a whole lot of black players who are any better than some of the guys already on the team. Maybe in the future, guys like Theo, Hoyte, Lita, Agonhalor, Young, etc. will get a chance, but they are still young and need to improve more to play on the national team.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:33 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe in the future, guys like Theo, Hoyte, Lita, Agonhalor, Young, etc. will get a chance, but they are still young and need to improve more to play on the national team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lita shouldn't be in the Premiership, much less on the national team. Every game I see him play he is just horrid.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:16 AM

Id just like to mention two things sorry if they have already been covered.
I think there is far too much emphasis on competition in organized youth football. Coaching youth football pays less then reserve or first team coaching and the way to get promoted is to get results with the youth team. Consequently full eleven aside matches are given too much emphasis. Young players can’t get a game if they’re too small and they are castigated for giving position away in their own half it all leads to Academies producing big physical guys who are uncomfortable with the ball in tight situations. I believe there are FA initiatives to change youth coaching in England we will have to wait ten years or so to see if they work.
Fifa's directives to referees to tighten up and give more yellow cards before all major tournament disproportionately hurt the British teams because we all domestically play a more physical pressing game where we put in tackles high up the pitch and more often.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:04 AM

why don't they work on making the big guys more comfortable with the ball?