Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Tips on Hosting Home Games (Looooong!)

I put out 20@$0.25, 20@$1, and 3@$5. Rebuys are always done with $5 chips so the table isn't laoded up with small-denomination chips at the end of the night.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"When getting your game started, go with a low-stakes cash game like $0.25/$0.50, $40.00 max buy-in NLHE."

What's a good chip distribution for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

My game is $0.25/$0.25 $40 max NL. I do 12 quarters ($3), 27 dollars ($27), and 2 nickels ($10). Rebuys are usually $20 in red and $20 in white, so that by the end of the night, all the small denom chips are on the table. Big stacks at 1 AM is fun!
Old 11-06-2007, 02:29 PM

I would like to add tips about tournament structure, because I've played in lots of home games that I never went back to because the structure sucked.

Make your starting stack 50-100 times the first big blind. Making it less causes your tournament to be too dependent on luck and also loses players pretty fast. Making it more will make the tournament much longer (which is OK if that's what you really want).

Figure out about how long you want your tournament to take. At that time, the blinds should be such that there are a total of 40-50 BB in play. (# of players * starting stack / 40 or 50)

Now that you have your first blind and last blind, fill in the levels in between, with the increases being smaller in the beginning and larger towards the end. Keep in mind that you may want to remove your lowest-valued chips from play after a few levels, so make sure the higher levels won't require those chips.

As an example, I use this for 8-10 players:

Starting stack - $6000
Levels - 20 minutes each
1 - 50/100
2 - 75/150
3 - 100/200
4 - 150/300
5 - 200/400
6 - 300/600
7 - 400/800
8 - 600/1200
9 - 1000/2000 (almost never get here)

I make my lowest chip 25 because it's only 4 chips up to 100, whereas if your lowest chip is 10 it's 5 chips up to 50 and if your lowest chip is 100 it's 5 chips up to 500.

Also, I start at 50/100 instead of 25/50 because I absolutely HATE tournaments where the blinds double after the first level but that's just a pet peeve of mine.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:26 AM

I like a structure that isn't doubling every level so its good there. But are you playing more than one tourney each night? because your structure is only about 2.5 hours long at most. Now, maybe that's long for a one table tourney, but if I'm going to out to play only 1.5 to 2.5 hours of poker depending on where I bust out, that's pretty much a wasted evening for me.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:05 AM

"Don't play for money with paper cards unless you are ready to buy two new decks for each game."

I used to use plastic cards, but changed back to paper (a new 2 deck setup with 1 setup in reserve) for every game. I hold the old used cards for live replacements. I decided that cracking a new deck before every game would nullify the possible pre-marked card fear. I also use the cheaper Vegas paper cards from Wal-Mart as they are nicer than Bicycle and just a nice as Bee, I think, for less.

Good advice (I read it). Many will be better off by reading it and following it. I would only add that picking up a rule book, or having Robert's available online during play (AND KNOWING THE RULES BEFORE HAND) will really help. Just make it clear what rules you will play by etc before things get going.

People used to think that I was stickler for the rules too much...but now that they have played a few times etc, they have more fun knowing all the rules and money are set and squared and they don't have to worry about any of it...just play. Makes it harder on me, but I don't mind.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:45 AM

I set a firm stop time for cash out. I say anyone who wants to keep playing can but the game officially ends at the set time. This way no one gives the winners a hard time for leaving.

I have a set 9 guys and then alternates. If someone finds out they can't make it they notify me and I get an alternate. This way my game always has exactally 9 guys. Leaving early is frowned upon and if someone leaves early more than once they are taken off regular status and moved to alternate. Everyone brings multiple buy ins.

I do not like the idea of advertising for players as you don't know what type of person you might get. The best games have a synergy between players that creates a friendly yet competitive atmosphere. I play golf and most of my players are advid golfers which creates a good bond among the players.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:49 AM

Yes, we play two tournaments per night. Sorry for not clarifying there. The people who bust out of the first one early usually play some HU while waiting for the rest to finish.