Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Ask Me About Being a Weatherman

One of the things that drives me nuts is that one of our local guys likes to talk about "here's what I'm forcasting" or "this is my forcast" when I assume he's just using the same infor/forcast everybody else is.

Am I wrong, or is he an egotistcal mustache having POS?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You know it has been proven that you will get more wet running through the rain than if you just walk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you know that it has been proven that wet clothes dry?

Just kidding w/ you, actually I didn't know that but in some weird way that kind of makes sense to me--I don't know if it is true but I can believe it. Either way rain doesn't worry or bother me.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know it has been proven that you will get more wet running through the rain than if you just walk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just kidding w/ you, actually I didn't know that but in some weird way that kind of makes sense to me--I don't know if it is true but I can believe it. Either way rain doesn't worry or bother me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just think about it every time I run through the rain several hundred feet, that my running pointless! And only increases my chances of slipping and falling and breaking my wrist/arm/leg/etc.

You are just like my father. He worked an outdoor job delivering beer his entire life - and never wanted to know in advance what the weather was going to be like. He would say "it doesn't matter to me. I have to [censored] work in it anyway no matter what it is. If I step outside and it is cold I will know it is cold." [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

He is now retired and consequently plans his life around the weather.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just think about it every time I run through the rain several hundred feet, that my running pointless! And only increases my chances of slipping and falling and breaking my wrist/arm/leg/etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont see how this can be the case. if two people go from point A to point B and one runs and one walks i bet the walker will get wetter. the runner may spend 30 seconds in the rain while the walker may spend 2-3 minutes exposed to the rain. seems there's no way for the runner to get wetter.

however if the time spent in the rain is equal and one walks and one runs i can understand the runner getter wetter.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i dont see how this can be the case. if two people go from point A to point B and one runs and one walks i bet the walker will get wetter. the runner may spend 30 seconds in the rain while the walker may spend 2-3 minutes exposed to the rain. seems there's no way for the runner to get wetter.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a scooping effect, where the front of your body goes through more rain when running.

I believe some Italian researchers actually published on this a couple years ago. They claimed the optimal speed is in between a run and a walk.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a scooping effect, where the front of your body goes through more rain when running.

I believe some Italian researchers actually published on this a couple years ago. They claimed the optimal speed is in between a run and a walk.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand the front of your body will encounter rain drops but there's no way that will make up for greatly reduced time one is exposed to the rain.

edit: straight dope where cecil mentions the italian study

some university study
Old 10-12-2007, 12:54 PM

Do you predict rain on the days you want to golf?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i understand the front of your body will encounter rain drops but there's no way that will make up for greatly reduced time one is exposed to the rain.

edit: straight dope where cecil mentions the italian study

some university study

[/ QUOTE ]

Good cites. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Around here, the weather is really nuts sometimes...we had a high of 88 on Monday, and a high of 52 on Wednesday.

[/ QUOTE ]

You call that nuts? I live in Denver, and I can remember several occasions when we had a high in the 80's and snow later the same day.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm not sure how many of the "broadcast major" people who just do weather actually call themselves meteorologists, but if they do, then it's blasphemy.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was a kid ('60's to '70's) there was a guy in Denver called "Weatherman Bowman" who worked at several TV and radio stations. He was not a meteorologist, and I don't think he ever claimed to be, but he had actually legally changed his name to "Weatherman".