Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Dealing with intense anger

Hey guys, I've been using poker as my primary source of income for the last couple of months. Originally I was grinding up the 16s, and got up to the 27s for a good strong run. Then, all at once, I had to cash out a good portion of my roll, just barely enough for the 27s, and hit a major downswing. Moved down to the 16s, kept swinging down.

After 2 weeks of breaking even at the 6.50s, I am starting to get overcome with extreme short-term anger at poker. I don't think it's affecting my game that much, as I vigilantly review my play, but my main concern is how it affects my mind and body in general.

I get to the point of breaking things - valuable things - over 60/40 situations or even coinflips. I feel like I can't win. I feel like no matter how many times I get the money in as an 80/20+ favorite, I will lose every time.

I guess what I'm asking for is tips on how to control this terrible rage I get over extremely close and small $ amount losses. Today I broke my mouse, a door, and my custom guitar amp (threw it at the door). I'm also hurting my throat by how loudly I'm yelling, and my hands from punching things.

Trivia for you psyche majors out there: I'm up for the day. Doesn't matter, because I guess I feel like I should be up 5 times as much.

I know the cards don't OWE me anything. I know it doesn't matter if I'm better than a guy headsup, that at 400/800 it doesn't really matter who's better. I know all of this stuff. I just can't control the anger.

Thoughts?

Edit: Sharkscope for some insight. I'm 12-tabling, and I need to make about $800-900/mo to survive.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Dealing with intense anger

I switched to cash. Helped immensely.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:51 PM

I tried cash a few months back, and still 4-8 table 10 or 25NL, but I went superbusto at it, and it still scares me. The only time I really play is when someone from my stalker list is at a limit worth playing at.

Sammykid13 is my poker mentor, and can vouch for my fury.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:54 PM

I was being serious. I didn't switch to cash for that reason. But, I have not punched/thrown or broken anything since I quit sngs.

I did, however, do lots of those things while playing sngs.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was being serious. I didn't switch to cash for that reason. But, I have not punched/thrown or broken anything since I quit sngs.

I did, however, do lots of those things while playing sngs.

[/ QUOTE ]

really??? I thought you did very well in sngs, and by 4- tabling, you have better read, and so better roi and less swing.

To OP:
1) take a couple hours break, go to gym and workout. if not calm down yet,

2) take a day off, go hiking or some outdoor activities you love. if still feel anger,

3) take a couple days off; take a mini vacation.

my anger and frustration usually goes away after step 2
Old 10-05-2007, 08:17 PM

I did very well at the $55s, running about 18% lifetime.

I did not run well at the $109s, even after party banned American's and there was maybe one good regular in each of my sngs.

But, even when putting up solid numbers, you go through streaks of losing every all-in, getting called at a frequency much higher than probabilities would suggest, etc.

I find it much more frustrating to continuously lose showdowns than to have every c-bet called or raise, which is most of the frustration in cash games.

Obviously there are nights were every big hand gets cracked by the river in cash games, but they are more rare IMO than the nights you lose every all-in in sngs.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:50 PM

I have run far worse than you in the past month and a 1/2 (approx 100 sng downswing at the 33s and 55s). For me to get over it, I just played a lot more and moved down, posted on 2+2 and talked more about poker and that got my confidence up. If you know you're doing the right plays (+ev) eventually things will stabilize.

Also, drinking helps too (not while playing tho).

Play a fun non-holdem cash game like omaha or something, that's good for me too.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:04 PM

It scares me that some people that are good, +Ev players have these kinds of down swings 100 Buyins or so....I mean this is not the first time I'm hearing about such swing....how are you able to manage your BR with that kind of swing?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:05 PM

I generally only keep about 50 buyins in my account and consider that my BR
Old 10-05-2007, 09:08 PM

I'm able to deal with it b/c I am 12 tabling 22s, 33s and 55s with a 15k roll. 100 buyin downswing isn't that much really (considering that 33s are probably my most regularly played/avg $ amount sng).

Plus I crushed the 22s on FTP in August so it's not that bad. With good bankroll management (maybe a tad on the conservative side to have like 300+ buyins), you can take very bad swings and still not have to drop down levels.