Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Home Game - Argument gets started

[ QUOTE ]
Stakes are not that high. We're talking bout a 10$ buy-in so I would just pay up to get the nagging to stop.

[/ QUOTE ]
They are completely in the wrong and do not even have a leg to stand on.

If I felt merciful, I would turn the other cheek and pay them the $10 only after telling them the following:

"I'm sorry that you misunderstood things last week. In the future, if you think you won the pot, you need to speak up RIGHT AWAY, because after the hand is over and the cards are shuffled back into the deck, there is no way to tell who had what.

"Normally I would never, ever, under any circumstances return money after a game is finished. That is not how poker works. But because you guys are new and maybe didn't understand how the rules work, I'd be happy to give $10 to buy into the next game out of the goodness of my heart. I hope that you now realize how important it is to raise your objection right away, before the hand is over, because there is no other way we can run a poker game."

Depending on how nice they were the next time would depend on whether I ever invite them back again. But since the stakes are so low, you might consider bending the rules to maintain a friendly game. Don't let them think they are right and you are wrong, however, but be nice about it at the same time if you can.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:39 PM

Neuroman's approach is a fast way to kill your game before it starts.

Instead of giving money back, just buy beer and pizza and whiskey for next week. You were big winner anyway, and this will encourage future big winners to do the same. To start off the night, open up a beer and take it to your buddy's wife and toast to no hard feelings, but just let them know that such things need to be pointed out immediately, as when two memories collide there's no way to find the truth.

If someone wants to argue, don't do it at the game. Talk with them outside and away if you think it will help, otherwise table the discussion until another time, with the upset parties sitting out this week if need be.

Do not be defensive or argumentative. Agree with them that it's a murky situation and that it would suck if in fact she did have a split pot hand but nobody noticed it until way too late. Just reiiterate that there's no way to tell for sure, and you want to keep it fair, and that if the situation were reversed you'd want the decision to be the same.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd never play again with anyone who would bug me like this.

[/ QUOTE ]