Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 08:25 PM

Default Re: AQ UI Value Bet

Yeah, I've just started playing some fullring again. I've always had the perception that fullring has less variance than 6max, but I base that on absolutely nothing.

Those stats are pretty standard tag. He is probably a winning, strong player. He probably recognizes that I play tag as well and that I'm not a regular in this game.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This hands feels backwards... i think you need to bet turn and check river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn value check is standard here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. vmacosta- your either playing in very easy games or your making a mistake by not value checking the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

TT, what games do you play in? I challenge you to show me hand histories from midlimit Stars games where the board comes extra dry like KK34r and a solid player bluffs when they are oop, don't have initiative, and pf was 3-bet from a non-resteal position. Based on my experience it just about never happens without tilt (or a weird wheel draw).

Also, honestly, lol at you showing a profit calling the river c/r. Have you guys ever seen somebody b/f in trypt's spot? Pretty friggin unlikely. That's why 17/11 types will c/r PPs on this river sometimes but almost never air.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There are no better hands that fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

emerson, I'm not sure you grasp the concept of 'value bet.' It's a bet that wants to be called. It's not a bet designed to get a better hand to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grasp the concept PJ, but was covering the other reason as well. Betting on the river with a big ace, no pair, is usually a combination of a bluff and a value bet.

It is not a good value bet here for several reasons, most important being that we are the pre-flop 3 bettor. That nearly always indicates a big ace or pocket pair. The only exceptions usually have a king. Anything hand the opponent could put us on beats his weaker ace. This is a terrible river to bet. The opponent would have to be someone who makes no attempt to put his opponent on a hand.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:51 PM

sometimes it is okay to check the turn and check the river. This is one of them. Now you have to call the river c/r because its worth it for the information.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:38 PM

OP--

You might have better results pretending this hand is shorthanded and posting it in another forum. This is the de facto live LHE forum.

I like your line very much. Whether to pay off the river is very opponent-dependent. Your hand looks like what it is: when that's the case, and the pot odds are big, a call is usually in order.*

TT--

I'm surprised that you claim that betting this river invites a checkraise. Not only do I think it's wrong in theory--that is, it doesn't invite one significantly more than other river bets do--I think that in the games most people here play, this bet gets checkraise-bluffed very rarely. (The Stars 30/60 is quite different from the games usually posted about here.)

chesspain, emerson, various other people--

There is a lot of value in this bet for all the obvious reasons. Very often nobody has a pair, we're playing the Q, and it's a game where preflop ranges will be, if not really loose, not totally nitty. Also, these players are probably good enough to not be guys who make defensive checks with pairs all the time. (This is not a criticism of the OP's turn check.)

--Nate

*This, BTW, is a useful way to reformulate a lot of standard poker truisms. "How to Play When Your Hand Looks Like What It Is" would be an excellent article for someone who is eligible to write articles to write.