no 19 20.00%
Maybe 6 6.32%
move up to where they respect your raises 51 53.68%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: BRAG - MMA is taking over!

"had numerous ownership changes"

Uh...the UFC has changed hands once.

Martin and Leben obviously are not elite, championship level fighters, but they are good gatekeepers for the weight class.

"The UFC only uses their reality fighters now"

LOL. There's three TUF fighters on 76. Griffin is a second tier LHW, Diego IMO is right on the cusp of the top tier, and Jardine is meh. Just because guys were on TUF doesn't mean they're awful fighters.

"Jardine is fighting bc Wandy wouldnt commit to fight chuck on a certian date and left the UFC hanging."

That isn't really fair to Wandy. He was in the middle of planning a big move to the US and there was no way he would have been ready to fight this Saturday. That's the reason the UFC went with Chuck in what should be an easy matchup.

Please God, Wandy/Chuck in December.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you actually telling me Leben and Terry Martin are A-class? They gassed after 1 round. Martin has no boxing skills. Leben does have some skills, and for that I promote him to B level.

The guy with no knowledge of MMA is the one who thinks the UFC reality fighters are the epitome of MMA talent.

I don't see how naming all the Pride fighters the UFC has brought in proves me wrong when I say the only talent they bring comes from Pride. Thanks for clarifying my point.

I know you've been a hardcore mma fan for like, maybe a year now. And TUF noobs like me don't understand how the UFC was only on satellite ppv for years, had numerous ownership changes, was losing money, etc. etc. Sorry we aren't all as knowledgable and can't tell Terry Martin is a great MMA fighter.

Edited to mention I realize Machida and Vera weren't Pride fighters. Before you attack me for it. The fact remains their shows are full of the reality fighters, most of which are not very talented.

[/ QUOTE ]

find where I called martin or leben A-class and I'll transfer you 50 bucks on stars.

you are so dumb i'm not sure i should even respond. Everything in the UFC is either pride or TUF, according to you. UFC just pushes the TUF guys and buys talent from pride.

Then who the hell are

Tim Sylvia
Chuck Liddell
Nate Marquardt
Matt Hughes
Sean Sherk
Clay Guida
Thiago Alves
Andrei Arlovski
Tito Ortiz
Houston Alexander
Roger Huerta
Tyson Griffin
BJ Penn
GSP
Karo Parysian
John Fitch
Randy Couture
Cheick Kongo
Gabreil Gonzaga
Brandon Vera
Frank Mir
Rich Franklin
Yushin Okami
JAson MacDonald

dumbass. but yeah, the ufc has no talent besides pride guys. Also, You act like every TUF guy is chris leben quality. How about the TUF guys who have legit skills?

KenFlo
Joe Daddy
MAtt Serra
Forrest Griffin
Rashad Evans
Din Thomas
Gray Maynard
Joe Lauzon
Manny G
etc.

There are a lot of good fighters to come from that show.

Bottom line, it's better to shut your trap and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. yes they put TUF guys on the free show, it's called knowing your audience. The elite guys go on the PPV, the second tier go on free TV.

and yes, i've been around much longer than a year. I found it funny that you resorted to that argument though. "lulz uve only been around 1 year u think tuf guys rool lulz" sound logic.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TOTAL HIJACK:

Anybody know the rules for blood-borne disease testing before fights? Do the fighters get tested for Hep, HIV, etc before each fight? Does this extend down to the more local level events? Sorry, this question has been nagging at me for a while and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good question, and i honestly don't know. I imagine it varies a lot state by state and org by org, but you could contact the UFC and ask if you wanted to. Or maybe that info's online somewhere.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TOTAL HIJACK:

Anybody know the rules for blood-borne disease testing before fights? Do the fighters get tested for Hep, HIV, etc before each fight? Does this extend down to the more local level events? Sorry, this question has been nagging at me for a while and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
All these issues are handled by the State Athletic Commisions. In order to have a sanctioned match, i.e boxing or MMA, you need to get approval from the athletic commisions as well as have the fighter get approved by the athletic commissions. This will also include the amateur associations. There is not, however any STD testing required when you train. So if you're rolling with someone and the get a cut or nosebleed, the instructor will stop you, but there is still a risk of blood born pathogen transfer.

Rpatterson, you're an idiot.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please God, Wandy/Chuck in December.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tentatively here is the line-up for UFC 79 December 29th:

Matt Serra vs. Matt Hughes
Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva
Big Nog vs. Frank Mir
Dean Lister vs. Evan Tanner

Rumored to appear: Rogher Huerta and Doug Evans.

Last fight probably won't happen because Tanner fell off the wagon and is not training.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matt Serra vs. Matt Hughes
Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva
Big Nog vs. Frank Mir

[/ QUOTE ]

Put a few quality undercard fights, and this is a terrific card.

I can't believe they would feed mir to big nog though. I figured he'd get one more warm up, or maybe a bottom-top-ten guy now that he finally seems to be ready to fight again. Giving him Big Nog is a huge opportunity obviously, but also a big risk. Two best BJJ heavyweights out there imo.

I really, really like Mir too. before the accident, I thought he was gonna be the guy who was capable of beating fedor. so slick on the ground. sexy smile too. but yeah, i hope we do get to see the mir of old.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:08 PM

LOL @ DannyOcean thinking Mir could ever beat Fedor. So hilarious. Also lol @ Mir being a better BJJ heavyweight than De Pano or Werdum.

MikeyPatriot: If you consider Gracie/Davie selling the UFC to SEG who then sold it to Zuffa being one ownership change then congrats. You are right. You've probably only been aware of the UFC since The Ultimate Fighter reality show. Kind of like resident expert Danny Ocean.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:13 PM

UFC 76 main card predictions

Tyson Griffin vs. Thiago Tavares - I don't know enough about these two to really make an educated decision on the fight. Griffin has two extremely close fights with Frankie Edgar and Clay Guida. This one is probably similar to those two fights. Griffin via Split Decision

Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Lyoto Machida - Nakamura is, IMO, the quintessential gatekeeper. He beats the fighters he should, and loses to the elite in the division (Wandy, Shogun, Hendo, Lil Nog). Machida has some wins over quality competition, and fights a style that won't go over well with the UFC crowd on a main card. Machida will probably be able to outpoint Nakamura on the feet while avoiding the takedown. Machida via Unanimous Decision.

Diego Sanchez vs. Jon Fitch - This is a really good fight between two guys on the cusp of the top tier at 170. Diego comes in after a disappointing loss to Josh Koscheck (though he had a Staph infection). Fitch comes in with a 13 fight win streak, with 6 wins in the UFC over sold second and third tier competition. On paper, this looks like the Fight of the Night and a Fight of the Year candidate. Both these guys are pretty good at finishing, but it's hard to think either is going to get KO'd. I really want to pick Fitch, but I'm going to go with Diego. Sanchez via Rear Naked Choke

Mauricio Rua vs. Forrest Griffin - A hotly debated fight in the Sports Betting thread (based on the line, of course). IMO, Griffin winning is a Black Swan. Shogun outclasses Forrest in every aspect of the game, with the exception of maybe heart and technical punching. Shogun is a top tier LHW, while Griffin is a second tier/gatekeeper type. For Griffin to have a shot in this fight, Rua's gonna have to sleep and fall, or he's gonna have to outpoint him with some hit and run striking. Rua via TKO rd. 1

Chuck Liddell vs. Keith Jardine - Jardine loses to a UFC newcomer and...gets thrown into a main event with one of the UFC's trio of huge stars? OK...This is a tune-up fight for Chuck before he (hopefully) fights Wandy in December. I don't think this is as big a mismatch as Vegas seems to think. Some have suggested in the Sports Betting thread that Jardine will try his usual style of rushing in and throwing. There's no way a Greg Jackson fighter will come in that stupidly. Still, I think Chuck will catch and drop him at some point. If he doesn't, Chuck/Wandy isn't very appealing and Dana made the same mistake he criticized Pride for with Wandy/Hendo (which was a much better matchup than this). Liddell via KO rd. 2
Old 09-21-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MikeyPatriot: If you consider Gracie/Davie selling the UFC to SEG who then sold it to Zuffa being one ownership change then congrats. You are right. You've probably only been aware of the UFC since The Ultimate Fighter reality show. Kind of like resident expert Danny Ocean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually my first introduction to the UFC was middle school/high school when my friend and I rent all the early UFC VHS tapes.

As for the ownership change, you can consider WOW selling their interest to SEG as an ownership change and still fall short of "numerous" ownership changes.

But keep calling people "TUF n00bs." That really shows off your knowledge.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:25 PM

How does it feel to be proven wrong?