Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Questions on buying Toyotas/Potential Car Salesman Shenanigans

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It happens. Trade-ins are not supposed to be sold until the contract has actually been funded by the bank. They slip thru the cracks every now and then though. It can get ugly especially if we can't get the guy approved for anything. In that case, you just negotiate a value for the car and realize that guy will hate you forever and you'll usually end up in court defending yourself. You can only recover the value of the car as long as no fraud was involved. In most cases, the dealership will bend over backwards trying to make the customer happy when this stuff happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

What dealership do you work for, so I can be sure to stay the hell away from there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what I said that would make you fell that way but I have been out of the car business for many years.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:42 PM

This happened to a friend of mine once. They called him approximately 2 weeks later and asked for a bunch of stuff, and ultimately said that they couldn't approve him and he had to come up with more money down or accept a higher interest rate with another lender.

He had driven the car on a couple of roadtrips and a few other places, and he told them, that's fine, but I'm bringing it back immediately and you're getting back a car with 1700 miles on it. (It was a new car with <100 miles on it when he purchased it.)

They managed to finance him at the original terms after all.

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

This really doesn't answer your question, but it does illustrate that sometimes something shady is really going on.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:15 PM

LOL, the last toyota we bought in AZ ended up ( after the sale, and a letter to the GM of the dealership) with a substantial check from the dealership, a custom set of wheels and tires, a new sunroof installed and full maintenance for 5 years, all because a group of convoluted lies from the salesmanager that i was able to PROVE were true and misleading, because he wrote them down.
I also got a letter asking me to never return to that delaership.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, the last toyota we bought in AZ ended up ( after the sale, and a letter to the GM of the dealership) with a substantial check from the dealership, a custom set of wheels and tires, a new sunroof installed and full maintenance for 5 years, all because a group of convoluted lies from the salesmanager that i was able to PROVE were true and misleading, because he wrote them down.
I also got a letter asking me to never return to that delaership.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf you [censored]-tease

story please
Old 09-20-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This happened to a friend of mine once. They called him approximately 2 weeks later and asked for a bunch of stuff, and ultimately said that they couldn't approve him and he had to come up with more money down or accept a higher interest rate with another lender.

He had driven the car on a couple of roadtrips and a few other places, and he told them, that's fine, but I'm bringing it back immediately and you're getting back a car with 1700 miles on it. (It was a new car with <100 miles on it when he purchased it.)

This really doesn't answer your question, but it does illustrate that sometimes something shady is really going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given I think this is pretty much a scam, I've always thought that if it happened to me I would threaten with lots of letter writing (Attorney General, BBB, Newspapers, Radio/TV Problem solvers, General Manager, President of Manufacturer, etc). Then in return for me not doing that, I come in and we refinance. 0% APR, $500 under dealer invoice. [would it even work?]

I mean they tried to defraud you. I would demand a better deal than I got in the first place.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:53 PM

This happened almost 5 years ago, so i dont recall the details anymore. Still have everything archieved on an old HDD somewhere,but basically...
The fact that the sales manager wrote down alot of the BS ( like this IS the true invoice price that the dealer pays for the car). He wrote a lot of this stuff down on my personal legal pad, so i was able to keep it( they tried to snag it) And that the car was in california and an additional fee was required to bring it in.( it was in mesa, i was in scottsdale). I think they knew they screwed up.

It helped that i had researched a lot on pricing before i went into the dealer. I took advantage of things that were being said, by having him write it down.
That and a threat to submit to Arizona Attorney General's Office of Consumer Fraud i think made the GM just say screw it. My letter outlining the deatils of our experience at the delaers hip was 7 pages long as i remember.

We actually bought the wheels after the fact in a seperate transaction, but THEY installed them, they rolled the car out and they had used an impact wrench on the lugs...and had filed down the inside of all the lug holes in the process. I went OFF...They couldnt argue i had done it, the car was still in the drive out of the service area, i hadnt been in it yet.
I somehow go the wheels refunded AND replaced.

They just has a really bad day.

The letter basically stated, "we thank you for your business, but in the future we suggest you consider purchasing from somehwere else", something like that. It was funny.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given I think this is pretty much a scam, I've always thought that if it happened to me I would threaten with lots of letter writing (Attorney General, BBB, Newspapers, Radio/TV Problem solvers, General Manager, President of Manufacturer, etc). Then in return for me not doing that, I come in and we refinance. 0% APR, $500 under dealer invoice. [would it even work?]

I mean they tried to defraud you. I would demand a better deal than I got in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously the best way to hurt dealerships in this situation is to return the car. They lose a lot of money by having to take a car back that is now considered used. The use of threats probably won't work as well.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:18 AM

someone with so -so credit probably doesnt have much money. what is she doing buying a new car thats going to depreciate in a day more than she likely has saved up in her lifetime.

but dont worry after she puts a bunch of miles on it they dont want it back. have her stand firm and only respond to written requests and do or say nothing over the phone. good luck.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
someone with so -so credit probably doesnt have much money. what is she doing buying a new car thats going to depreciate in a day more than she likely has saved up in her lifetime.

but dont worry after she puts a bunch of miles on it they dont want it back. have her stand firm and only respond to written requests and do or say nothing over the phone. good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i mean i am surprised they think they have the leverage in this situation. A dealership in the UK does not want a used car returning to them. Once you drive it off the forecourt, you have the aces. If they leant on me i'd tell them to enjoy selling a used car at a much lower price.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Once you drive it off the forecourt, you have the aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?

From context it seems like, "Once you drive the car from the dealership, you're stuck with it," but I've never heard the "aces" part used that way.