10x155
10x185

Bentover Barbell Rows

PR 3x10x60

3x10x70

Seated Cable Rows

10x70
2x10x85

Overall a very good day for me as I set new PRs in everything. 1 pullup short of my goal of 10xBW so that sort of sucked but hopefully next time.

Deadlifts was very strong (for me anyways [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] today. It was sort of an erratic day with them tho. The 135 set went up super ez which it usually doesnt. So I decided to move up to 185 and it felt really heavy (i think this was just a mental thing tho since it was a fair bit heavier than my PR. I barely got the 6 off and felt my form was a bit off on the last rep so I moved the weight back to 155. This set went up really easy again tho, so I decided I'd try for another 5 or 6 at 185. Obv that went well and I got 10 off. I actually felt like I could have done a heavier set (maybe 205-225) but Id already done more sets than I usually do and didnt want to exhaust myself for the rest of the workout. I also started with my hips a bit higher than usual after watching some form videos, and I think that helped a lot in upping the pounds. I felt like my form was def. the best its been, so that was awesome. Weight is up to 170 today so woooo. BF is .4% over where I started today, which is still pretty good, and Im def not worried about it for now.

Next weeks back goals: Im hoping it goes something like warmup, 185x8 2x225x(6-8). Also, hopefully next week is the week for pullups!

Tomorrows Workout: Shoulders

-Mike
Old 09-15-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Mike\'s Log

You do some high reps. I throw in 12-15 rep squat days once in awhile and they're awesome (long-term; short-term I want to puke) but I can't do them often.

Your DL/squat numbers are very weird, lol. Most people solidly outpull their squat AFAIK.

Keep it up though.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:00 AM

Just noticed that. Mike, you need to get past parallel - there's almost noway you are squatting correctly with those numbers.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just noticed that. Mike, you need to get past parallel - there's almost noway you are squatting correctly with those numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rule of thumb, if you squat more than you pull, you aren't going deep enough.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:49 PM

Do you guys recommend going past quad parallel? Ive heard that for bodybuilding ATG is best, but for strength training quads parallel is best. Regardless, I just did some body squats at quad parallel and its probably a little deeper than my form with heavy load so I think you guys are probably right. Also, I havent been training deadlifts as long as squats so that could also be contributing. Regardless, I will probably stick with 225 next leg day and not move up, while concentrating on form/quad parallel (or deeper/lighter if you guys think thats better). 225 is also my goal for deads next week so hopefully thats more in line with normal.

Also, for who said I do high reps, yah Ive always liked high reps. I will switch it up form time to time. Deadlifts I usually pull 8...last workout was pretty messed up as I couldnt get a weight that was comfortable for me so I just pulled as many as I can (up to 10), which ended up being 10 for most. Hopefully I have a better idea of the weight I can pull now and next week will be 4 or 5 sets of 6-8. I also like to do high rep squats sometimes (well usually once I am actually in decent cardio/muscle endurance shape, which Im def not right now)

Oh yah, 1 more thing re: leg day. The gym I go to doesnt have a seated/standing calf raise machine (wtf). Its got some crappy weird machine that I dont like but have been using. A guy at the gym was trying to explain what he does for calves but I didnt exactly get what he was saying since he didnt show me. Anyways I think it was just loading up the smith rack and doing calf raises, but he also talked about using a box sometimes and raising off that (which i guess would be better ROM). Which of these is better do you think (or is there something else I could be doing) Thanks

-Mike
Old 09-15-2007, 06:57 PM

mike, i don't train my calves at all, or my forearms, or posterior deltoids, or biceps brachia...you get the idea.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:17 AM

9/15/2007

Shoulders

Warmup: 4-5 min jump rope

Standing Overhead DB Press

PR - ???

10x40
9x45
9x40

Front DB Raises

PR 3x10x15

3x10x17.5

Lateral DB Raises

PR 3x10x15

8x17.5
2x10x15

Rear Lateral Raises

PR ???

10x15
2x10x17.5

Today was a home workout, which I dont really like as much but I was super busy and its a lot quicker. Didnt do shrugs cuz my DB's only go up to 52.5..guess I coulda done some high rep shrugs but they arent a huge priority for me anyways so meh. Anyways a pretty good workout..my shoulders were on FIRE tho, yikes. I dunno if its lactic acid or just a painful pump but man my shoulders always burn (ESPECIALLY today).

Next weeks shoulder goals: Meh. Hopefully 3x10x45 for DB press, but it will be seated instead of standing so not sure if those are exactly comparable, altho I cant see the diff being too huge.

Tomorrows workout: Arms, if I have time. I havent done barbell curls since Ive been back and I have no idea why. Pretty stupid actually, but Ive just been on DB curls, so Im looking forward to a good arm workout.

-Mike
Old 09-16-2007, 04:20 AM

Also, found my old workout routine (which I never got around to completing except for legs and arms) I still like it, so I'll probably start following it again.

Arms

Biceps

Day 1

Barbell Curls
Spider Curls (inner)
One arm preachers (outer)
Cross Body Hammers (brach)

Day 2

Barbell Curls
Preacher Curls (Inner)
Hammer curls (outer)
Drag Curl (upper/brach)

Alternates for variety: Incline bench hang for inners, Arnold style concentrations(mite move to main workout), reverse barbell instead of drag curl.

Triceps

Day 1

Close grip bench
Overhead dumbell french press (inner/mid)
Tricep pulldown 1 hand reverse grip (outer)

Day 2

Skull Crushers
Tricep Extensions (Outer/mid)
Tricep pressdown (Inner)

Legs

Day 1

Squats 10 reps heavy
Static Lunges (Barbell?)
Lying Hamstring Curls
Seated Calf Raise 30 reps heavy

Day 2

Squats 15 - 10 dropsets
Walking lunges
Stiff Legged Deads
Standing Calf Inner/Outer/Forward 3 sets of 30 or so

Day 3

Leg Extension PreExhuast - 3 sets 10 HEAVY
Squats 3 sets 20 preexhausted
Hamstring Curls
Calf Inner/OUter/Mid

-Mike
Old 09-18-2007, 03:55 AM

9/17/07

Arms

Warmup: 3min bike

Biceps

Barbell Curl

PR - ?

10x60
10x70
6x70
6x60 (dropset)

Incline Bench Hammer Curl

PR 3x10x25

10x25
9x25
10x22.5

Triceps

Skullcrushers

7x35
10x30
8x30

Seated Dumbell French Press

3x10x55

Bodyweight Two Bench Dip

Well today wasnt the greatest day since it was very rushed with very little time between sets (the triceps almost seemed like 1 giant superset) I guess it was good from a switching things up point of view tho, so maybe itll work out ok. We got to the gym and asked how long it takes to sign up for a membership and the lady says oh 10 minutes (1 hr to close) So we're like ok, should be enuff time after that. Anyways, shes super slow and new or something, and it ends up taking 30 min cuz she messes something up. Great. Anyways, first time doing barbell curls since Ive been back and they felt pretty good and I thought my form was super good on them so that went well. I usually do a third (sometimes 4th) bicep exercise but was super low on time. Triceps went ok but I think they are not doing as well as my biceps so I might work them first next time. They were very tough as I was getting pretty exhausted by the end. Also, did the dips at home because we ran out of time (only about 5 min from gym). Ate really well today as well so overall wasnt too bad.

Yesterday I did some sprints for cardio for about 20 min. First cardio Ive done in awhile..thinking about doing some tonite in a few hrs not sure. Didnt end up going to the gym cuz I ran outta time before we went to the Keith Urban concert. Im not a huge country fan but I do like it..he def puts on a good show tho and my gf loves him so it was a good time.

Next week arm goals: Skullcrushers 3x10x35 Bicep curl 3x10x60 (not sure about this cuz Ill be tired from doing tri's first, could be able to do this ez or might not be able to at all but its a number Id be happy with)

Tomorrows workout: Legs probably, my back is still a bit tight tho so possibly chest. We'll see when I get there

-Mike
Old 09-19-2007, 03:39 AM

9/18/2007

Legs

Warmup: 2min bike

PR - 8x275 (bad form [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

Warmup Squats: 20x45
15x135
14x185
12x185
11x185

Static Dumbell Lunges

PR ???

50lb Rightx10 Leftx8
45lb Leftx10 Rightx10
45lb Leftx10 Rightx9

Lying Hamstring Curls

10x80
12x65
15x65

Standing Barbell Calf Raises off Box

25x135
18x135

Hmm well, you guys were right I def wasnt going low enough on the squats. I was very strict with form today, altho lighter than I expected, so that sucks. Something to work back up to I guess. Next week should be a lot better Im hoping as I feel exhausted today. After my third set of lunges my legs basically gave out and I had to sit on the floor for a couple minutes. Also, it was my first time doing static lunges in about 3 yrs so that was interesting..a little more lactic acid on them..I think I like walking lunges better, but will probably go with a 2/1 split for variety. Hammy curls were lighter this week with a bit more reps...did the first set heavy but it didnt feel very good on my legs so I toned it down a bit. Also, first time doing the calf raises. They were pretty good, intense burn obv. Only thing I dont like is its harder to go with inner/outer stance than on a machine so I just did straightforward stance. I really wanna get some SLDL's in but Im just not in good enough shape yet to do another heavy lift after squats and lunges. Soon I hope.

Next week's leg goals: 10x225 squats

Tomorrows workout: Im taking tmrw off..I just feel really lethargic right now and Im pretty sure Im overtraining. Ive only taken probably 2 - 3 days off in the last 6 weeks that I wasnt either drinking or hungover (which obv arent the best rest days), and I think its catching up to me. So, tmrw off..thurs chest, fri off, sat is a wedding so drinking/off, sun hungover/off and Monday I should be nice and fresh to start the week off with back and hopefully a strong DL showing.

-Mike