Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: help me move down - advice needed

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I should have added- what do people focus on between hands? The eyestrain was considerable from playing on more/smaller tables (could be the mods I'm using, too - I need to experiment). I found that I need to start looking away from the monitor between action after about 2.5 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of monitor do you use? If it's a CRT, that could explain the eye strain. Studies have shown that LCD monitors cause much less strain on the eyes because they operate at 60Hz, whereas many CRT monitors have refresh rates much higher that cause your eyes to have to refocus more often resulting in eye strain and headaches.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of monitor do you use? If it's a CRT, that could explain the eye strain. Studies have shown that LCD monitors cause much less strain on the eyes because they operate at 60Hz, whereas many CRT monitors have refresh rates much higher that cause your eyes to have to refocus more often resulting in eye strain and headaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 21 inch Dell flatscreen. I also checked last night and it is indeed set to 60Hz.

Another possibility was my setup. I think all the dark graphics was a little too much for my eyes.

I'm playing around with different mods now. Going back to a green table and using more traditional cards. I think I need the contrast. We'll see...
Old 09-05-2007, 12:11 PM

Dark/sombre graphics are better for your eyes(excessive screen brightness/contrast is probably the main cause of your eye strain).
Not true you want your screen refresh to be a lot higher - 75/85hz is much better for your eyes than 60hz. also less headaches etc.
LCD's generally cause less strain because they're not pulsing out radiation (cathode rays) at you.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:23 PM

Weirdly I was not able to up the refresh rate on my monitor, even though I'm sure that it could handle it. I'll check again tonight. Thanks for the info, I would have thought 60 was OK.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:38 PM

Mm, I don't know how it works exactly but most LCDs can't be set to higher than 60hz I think, but 60hz for an LCD is far different from 60hz with a CRT monitor.. from what I understand.

Googled a bit and found http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...9-refresh-rate but eh, I'm too lazy to read all of that right now :]