Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 05:21 AM

Default Re: most emotionally devasting moment in film

The final scene in Grave of the Fireflies

The photo album montage in Oldboy. The rollercoaster of emotional responses during that scene is the reason that people watch movies.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:40 AM

The suicide scene, Swing Kids.

'nuff said.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The final scene in Grave of the Fireflies

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Devastating is the word.

[ QUOTE ]
The photo album montage in Oldboy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The netflix disc is sitting on top of my TV as we speak; I'll see in a few days.

Also,

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone seen Fellini's La Strada,

[/ QUOTE ]

This one gets a mention from me as well. Along with all of Schindler's List. I often comment that it shouldn't be critiqued alongside other movies because its in a category of its own.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:21 AM

The most emotionally affecting scene in the(terribly overrated) Saving Private Ryan is the scene where the medic tells the story about his mother mentioned above. Not the knifing. That scene may have been tense, but it's a bad thing that happens to a major character in a montage of bad things happening to major characters. It's a rough way to go, but it's not a stomach punch.

Kurt, you won't regret the Oldboy Netflixing. I'm a sorry I gave even the minor spoiler there.

If we aren't allowed to use The Wire, Grave of the Fireflies runs away and hides with this award. Lots of movies can make the audience feel sadness, Grave of the Fireflies can make the audience feel grief.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:26 AM

I know that we have been posting fictional scenes only. I am surprised that more scenes have not been identified.

However, I want to post a non-fictional scene that fits the thread perfectly. Emotionally devastating . This piece of film that captures so much, all through the actions of a true hero, David Purley. Heroism when all around him are hopelessly ambivalent. If you are interested, it is worth searching for some background on this incident, and the comments from other non-participants - since Purley is the only bloke trying anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRYgW...ed&search=
Old 09-11-2007, 03:20 AM

Okay I know you people will think me a wussy for actually being affected by a total chickflick, but one that gwts me is the scene in Terms of Endearment where Debra Winger, dying, talks to her sons. Her 12 year old is being really bratty and she tells him forcefully that she knows he loves her even though he won't ever admit it, and she doesn't want him to be angry at her for not getting the chance to tell her that when he gets older.