Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: $2200 HU turbo SNG full tilt

Your hand is basically face up when played like this because you never take this line with a draw
Old 08-28-2007, 11:41 AM

This is so predictable. All this talk about mixing it up and going limp/call, call, shove makes your hand horribly obvious. Make a standard raise to 3xbb preflop and cbet. You're going to make a hand like AQ or a naked spade give you action sometimes, hands that will shut down with your crazy passive line.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:50 AM

I like the play. You could play it either way (call flop/shove turn, or raise flop/all shove) and be ok here I think.
The thinking for the first option is that if he has a hand like 10K with K of spades, or some straight and flush draw type of hand, he's probably willing to get it in on the flop and you've got a race to win the tourny, which sucks. In that case, calling and shoving a blank turn is great because your odds are much greater of getting a fold, or winning an all-in against 2 pair or a big pair or draw that feels priced in or can't fold.
The problem is a hand like KsQx or some 2-pair type of hand where he's probably willing to get it all-in on the flop when you're pretty far ahead. I think this has more to do with your read on the villain and your style of play--conservative or aggro.

Here's some pokerstove calcs I did which may or may not be great since I'm new to using it:

Overal result was:
Hand 0 - 57.5% Equity (your 88)
Hand 1 - 42.5% Equity
[ QQ+,JcJs,JdJs,JhJs,AsKs,AsJs,AsTs,As7s,As6s,As5s,A s4s,
As3s,As2s,KJs-KTs,Ks7s,Ks6s,Ks5s,Ks4s,Ks3s,Ks2s,JTs,Js7s,
Ts7s,7s6s,7s5s,6s5s,5s4s,4s3s,3s2s,AcQd,AcQh,AdQc, AdQh,AhQc
,AhQd,AsQc,AsQd,AsQh,As9c,As9d,As9h,As8c,As8d,As8h ,KsQc,
KsQd,KsQh,KsJc,KsJd,KsJh,KsTc,KsTd,KsTh,QcJs,QdJs, QhJs,
QcTs,QdTs,QhTs,Qc9d,Qc9h,Qd9c,Qd9h,Qh9c,Qh9d,Qs9c, Qs9d,
Qs9h,Qc8d,Qc8h,Qd8c,Qd8h,Qh8c,Qh8d,Qs8c,Qs8d,Qs8h, JcTs,
JdTc,JdTs,JhTc,JhTd,JhTs,JsTc,JsTd,JsTh,98o]

I figured any two semi-reasonable suited cards assuming he's very aggro, any QQ+, any set obv, any JsJx which may be somewhat loose. I also threw in a bunch of combo draws and any 2 pair.

I don't really think the way you played your hand is so "omg obv" as some have said. I agree that you're usually not getting called here when you shove except by a hand that beats you, but what are the options? Call/fold river? Fold turn? That's just so weak. If he was betting a draw you win the pot on the turn, if he has you beat, it's unlikely you would be able to fold a set here anyway. I'm getting it in and liking my odds.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is so predictable. All this talk about mixing it up and going limp/call, call, shove makes your hand horribly obvious. Make a standard raise to 3xbb preflop and cbet. You're going to make a hand like AQ or a naked spade give you action sometimes, hands that will shut down with your crazy passive line.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, ok so of all the people in this thread that NEVER limp call with 88 in position, then how the hell is it horribly obvious if i do it, but nobody else ever does it?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your hand is basically face up when played like this because you never take this line with a draw

[/ QUOTE ]

say i took this line with AQ with A spades, is this not a draw?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:06 PM

he is calling a shove on the turn with AQ with A of spades instantly im sure of..
Old 08-28-2007, 01:11 PM

also by raising the flop, i think im getting MANY hands to fold that would normally pay me off with another bet on the turn...for instance, AA, KK, TT with no spades..those type of hands...then shoving on the turn of course he is only gonna call with most hands that have me beat, and some that dont like AQ with A of spades, but i got another 200+ chips from the turn bet and he could easily put me on a draw after my flop call....

its not only about getting paid off by hands that have good draws, but getting paid by hands that have little or no equity against my hand but are most likely (and against this opponent even more likely) that he will fire another bullet on the turn
Old 08-28-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
people are limping pf with 88 and calling with sets on super duper drawy flops? man i need to move up to the $2,200s.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i was waiting for some MINDLESS and retarded remark -- and i got it

i called knowing he is going to raise 90% of the time OOP which there is nothing wrong with, mixing up play is fine HU, there is no ABC form.....

i called the flop to see a blank turn and therefore increase my equity vs a combo draw and get it in, if not then i can control the pot and possibly boat up on the river to win a huge pot...

[/ QUOTE ]

So what do you do if a spade or a jack or a ten comes on the turn? As you said here, it looks like you intend to call a potsized bet and turn your hand into a draw. You would risk a lot of your stack on a draw here. I would call if you are prepared to fold to a big bet on the turn. Unless you have a read that he won't make a big bet on the turn so that you can check behind here.

Your line is weird so you can expect some negative responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

if a spade or a J roll off that doesnt mean hes betting this hand, so it is also likely that he shuts down on the turn with that type of scare card, giving me a possible free card, if he bets then i make a decision depending on the amount that he bets and go from there, if its too much when a J of spades his the turn then i fold and move on, only losing 200 chips and still in easy contention to win this match
Old 08-28-2007, 02:13 PM

its an ok line IMO but probably shouldnt make it your standard one though and how does limping 88 make your hand obvious lol?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:28 PM

this is definately not a standard play by me by any means, just a different line i took and wanted some thoughts about i