Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 06:13 PM

Default NL100: AK flop TPTK with cold caller and checkraise on the flop

Hero raises AK UTG to $3.5, aggro donkey calls in MP1, SB calls.
Pot $11.5.

Flop A76 with 2 hearts. SB checks, Hero bets $6, donkey calls, SB raises to $24. Is my hand currently good? ... suggestions?
Old 08-25-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: NL100: AK flop TPTK with cold caller and checkraise on the flop

I assume the effective stacks at the start of the hand were 100. Please list the stacks next time.

Do you have the Ah or Kh? I assume not, but that would be relevant information, so please list your suits next time.

You're 1/2 pot continuation bet is too weak. Bet 10 or 11.5 or even 12, then if SB makes it $36+ then you might want to fold.

But, as played, the "aggro" guy just calls (getting about 3:1 or even 4:1 immediate pot odds if SB calls), then the SB c/r's to $24. If you call, then "donkey" probably convinces himself that his flush draw "has the right odds" and calls too. Making a $80+ pot with only $60+ effective stacks. So, calling means you're pot-committed if the turn is not a heart or straight card and SB pushes. Is that what you want? And if you raise, can you raise without getting pot-committed? Can you raise to $50 and fold to a push? Probably not.

I think you are probably good here occasionally, but not good more often. A little more of a read on SB might be nice.

As played, with no read on SB, I think you are not good and can fold. You're out $9.5, so make a note that SB did the c/r on a draw-heavy board and maybe next time you have to play it differently.

If this is a FR game, I would recommend limp/rr'ing with AK as well as AA and KK to make the hand play eaiser. In this case, the pot would have been smaller, if no body raised, or bigger if it got reraised preflop. I think you can get some better mileage at FR with AK by limp/rr'ing from time to time than open raising UTG.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:44 PM

My stack is a full stack, but their stacks are both around 75.

I have the king of hearts which is the backdoor nut flush draw.

That is my standard continuation bet size. Since I continuation bet ~90% of the time when it is heads up or 3 handed.

I have no read on the small blind.

I don't limp raise any hands, it is not part of my game plan, since I very rarely ever open limp.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My stack is a full stack, but their stacks are both around 75.

I have the king of hearts which is the backdoor nut flush draw.

That is my standard continuation bet size. Since I continuation bet ~90% of the time when it is heads up or 3 handed.

I have no read on the small blind.

I don't limp raise any hands, it is not part of my game plan, since I very rarely ever open limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
their stacks are both around 75.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Then, I think I'd push. You have TPTK and a back door flush draw. Villain's are short stacked. The pot is now pretty big. And although you are slightly behind all kinds of combo flush draws, you aren't that far behind. You only really need to fear a set. And I think he has something other than a set here often enough to push him all in. And even vs a set, you have miracle backdoor flush outs.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never open limping is very popular at 2+2, but you should reconsider it as something to do on occasion at a full ring table. And if you do it at all, then you should do it occasionally with big cards, too (KK-AA and AK). This is especially true if a "standard raise" with 1 or 2 callers leaves you with an SPR of 13 OOP on a flop that you will miss 67% of the time. In this case, the SPR is a little lower, but you should watch out for open raising some "standard amount" with AK UTG when/if the SPR will often be about 13.

[ QUOTE ]
That is my standard continuation bet size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer to mix up the size to get done whatever job I'm trying to get done. If it's mixed up enough, not even observant opponents will get accuarate "reads" from the different sizes. I think your cb in this case was too small.

If you like standardizing bet sizes for cb's, then use 3/4 pot. NLHETAP has a section on why 3/4 pot is usually a good amount for bet sizing as a default.