Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

sean - thanks for the neat trick on how to deal with multiway pots. i'm gonna see how well that works.

matt -

[ QUOTE ]
problem here is you can have such a wide range of opponents. if forced to answer i'd say use SPR for two opponents (three seeing the flop) and cut a fourth for each one after. so if 3-handed target SPR is 4 would go to 3 for 4-handed, then lop another fourth to 2.25 for 5-handed, etc. that may err on the conservative side a bit. but no way would i rec that in a book b/c it's so opponent and situation dependent. take it with a grain of salt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Multiway pots are, indeed, hard because as you said, you’ll have such a wide range of opponents. The one thing I noticed in your suggestion was that by subtracting a fourth for each new player into the pot, adding more people has a diminishing effect on the SPR. First you subtract 1, then .75 and so on.

Does this mean each additional player has less of an impact on the target SPRs?

Target SPRs rely on you gathering perfect (your hand) and imperfect information (player tendencies and range of hands) But as you add more and more players, the range of hands of players gets increasingly difficult to narrow as each consecutive player is getting better and better odds and pretty soon, any two cards can be played. This means as you increase more players your target SPR is getting more hazy and you should be getting increasingly more conservative, thereby subtracting equal if not greater amounts from the SPR.

What do you think?

[ QUOTE ]
hadn't thought of that. very cool idea. have you thought much about how that interacts with loose vs. tight vs. wild vs. raises preflop a lot - all the other seat selection issues? interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn’t thought of that!

Or maybe it’s because I don’t want to think about it, b/c it’ll make my brain burst because of the complexity.

I am going to give it a think soon however.

Thank you for the reply. It’s pretty amazing to be able to ask questions to the authors of a book and get quick thoughtful responses.