Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 06:55 PM
 is offline

Default Re: What have I done ? 2/3 of my Bankroll gone

[ QUOTE ]
Since you have two kids to feed, why don't you try to find an real job, rather than playing low limit NL poker or waiting for lawsuit money that may never come?

[/ QUOTE ]

Usualy getting the job would be the right thing to do. However, salaries are really low where I live. I have made an avg. of about 1200$/month for the last 5 months, playing poker. Even in a very good Job I would make no more then 400$/month. I really messed up by loosing so much of my roll. My idea is to become robusto at 100NL or 200NL. Once I can put 10000$ aside I can start a small bussiness here and keep on playing. I basicaly started playing for cash online, because the money I make from a salary wasn`t enought to play for expenses. I know I`m a winning player at 50NL (played 150K hands) and probably will be at 100NL once I have the Bankroll.

I do appreciate the suggestion tho. I hope I will never fall into this kind of tilting again. I think that usualy my stronger parts of my game where not tilting to much and good bankroll mngt. I just messed up this time ...
Old 08-08-2007, 07:07 PM
 is offline

chesspain, to add to my last comment. I feel kind of unresponsible choosing to play poker as an income. However, I feel it`s the best way I could make a good amount of money (for local standarts) and give my family a better live. Both my kids go to private schools, since the normal schools are very bad. Also my son needs therapy 3 times a week wich has increased expenses a lot. for an example, I used to work as a shipping agent for oil tankers for the last 10years. I would work about 80hrs a week, spending more time at work then at home. I would only make about 350$ including overtime etc...
Old 08-08-2007, 09:10 PM

It's always going to be easier to tilt when you have expenses to deal with. I got myself in personal debt for a while and I'd often think "I really need to cash out $2000 in a couple days to make a payment" and it would definitely affect my game and BR management lately. After getting that paid off, my tilt control went up significantly.

Really, the best advice I can give you is to try to go into your own world when you're playing poker. Put headphones on, tell your friends and family not to disturb you while you're playing, and whatever you do, try not to think about the money at all. Just focus on the individual hands and if possible, don't even look at your balance until you've already decided to get up for the session. Trying to win money quicker and quicker will only make things worse and lead to disastrous consequences like the ones you mentioned.

Finally, don't listen to the naysayers in the thread telling you to "get a real job" and don't apologize for your choices in playing poker for a living. Most of these people are only speaking from their own limited experience where they have solid well-paying jobs at their disposal and don't have many responsibilities anyway. Just try to relax, don't pressure yourself and play the best poker you can. Remember, ignoring the money and relaxing is the only way the money will come to you anyway.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you have two kids to feed, why don't you try to find an real job, rather than playing low limit NL poker or waiting for lawsuit money that may never come?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are times I would LOVE to play poker for a living, but I have three kids, a wife and a mortgage.

Get a job.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:08 AM

OP If you can able to play party poker and the rest of the sites then why play on stars? Open all the site and took all the reload bonus you can get. Clear bonus with softer site will help you rebuild your BR. Play @ stars FTP and ect. just b/c you have no other option. I heard party still have a tons of fish there. GL to you.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are times I would LOVE to play poker for a living, but I have three kids, a wife and a mortgage.

Get a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you missed the comment where he said he'd make 400$ /month.

Hope you can avoid tilting in the future, and don't think of it like 'winning back" the money you lost but accept that it's gone. The feeling you have to win back money is a terrible state to play poker in.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:26 AM

maybe you could do some bonuswhoring?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the OP would love your cushy 1st world job. Want to swap?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:26 PM

Cleaner,
I'm sure you can tell when you're feeling tilty. When that happens (and it will) log off your computer and go do something else for a while.

Also, as other people have said, you really need a rakeback deal. That's free money in your pocket.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:54 PM

look for sites with good rb or bonus, if you are able to play 5k hands daily you make a lot with NL/PL 25 only from break even play and bonus/rb.