50001-75000 7 10.61%
75001-100000 5 7.58%
100000-150000 7 10.61%
>150000 12 18.18%
dont care /resutls please 17 25.76%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Re: *official 2007 red sox thread*

The only reason Lugo didn't get thrown out of the game there was because the ump knew he blew the call
Old 07-31-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ytf, I think you are a bit off on the promotions/marketing. However, they are separate categories so then again maybe you're right.

Maybe they could do better with sponsorships(although just because you don't know them doesn't mean they aren't decent, especially in the Tampa area). After all we know about Fenway and the Red Sox being all about local sponsorships. They could do a better job but I am 100% certain you are wrong about promotions.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I say "Marketing", I don't mean the guy who gets Pepsi to buy a billboard in center field. I mean the guy who markets to the public the product known as "Devil Rays baseball". The guy who tries to convince people that they should spend money on going to a game and buying a souvenir.

Promotions is not separate from that--it is an essential part of that.

My point is, it's SOMEBODY'S job to promote the fact that they have an absolutely beautiful Whitney Bank Club, that offers a sweet deal to the fan. If somebody Googles "Whitney Bank Club", they should get more than a press release from MARCH announcing plans for such a thing. There should be at least one photo on the internet of what the club looks like.

I went to the Sunday game as well. We sat in the outfield seats. NOT ONCE did a vendor come by selling soft drinks. I've got bad knees, and after walking a few miles to get from my car to my seat, I wasn't able to take my kids downstairs to get them a drink (I didn't want to miss a pitch, either, since Dice-K was on the bump, and I *never* get to see MLB games live).

It was hot in that dome on Sunday (sun beating on the roof in the afternoon makes it much different than a night game). We had a two-hour drive to get from Ocala to St Pete, and when we saw what a nightmare parking was going to be, we dove right into the scramble for a parking spot. By the time the game started, it had been three hours since my kids had a sip of water. A soft drink vendor could have made a lot of money for the organization if he had made a single trek through the outfield seats (which is where all the Family Fun Day ticket holders were sitting).

I saw little kids flagging down the beer vendors. Thousands of kids were thirsty, and the club acted like they didn't want to come by and take their parents' money.

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea about the replay stuff but they showed all the great replays today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, all the great TAMPA plays. Manny and Youk went back-to-back, but the JumboTron operator must've been on a coffee break at that time.

One funny replay moment: Mirabelli bunted Crisp over to third, and they showed the replay, as if the Rays had a done a spectacular job of thwarting Mirabelli's attempt to bunt his way on.

I was SERIOUSLY considering pursuing such a position with the club, until it dawned on me that MLB might have a problem with a team hiring a guy who worked for ten years as a bookmaker in Las Vegas and offshore.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If somebody Googles "Whitney Bank Club", they should get more than a press release from MARCH announcing plans for such a thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

they do! the 2nd link on google is your post in this thread.

the 3rd will probably be my post talking about your post
Old 07-31-2007, 10:54 PM

It's been announced that my man Julian will be starting tommorrow night in Gabbard's spot. This is a retarded move imo by the Red Sox. So what if Schilling is only stretched out to 70 pithches or so and needs another rehab start.

Start Schilling and let Tavarez back him up. Makes too much sense I guess. Oh wait, we got that lead so we can do stupid things.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:39 AM

How can they resist a Tavarez v Traschel humdinger?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:01 PM

i think they are starting Tavarez just to avoid making a roster move, which they will need to make anyway once Schill comes back
Old 08-01-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's been announced that my man Julian will be starting tommorrow night in Gabbard's spot. This is a retarded move imo by the Red Sox. So what if Schilling is only stretched out to 70 pithches or so and needs another rehab start.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the roster issues are probably more pressing - also, Trachsel is absolutely terrible, he's incredibly lucky to be where he is right now and earning a paycheck (a lot of good pitchers have struck out 37 guys in 102 IP) so having another 5IP/5ER performance from Batshit doesn't really seem like a big deal, you know?

I'd rather keep Schilling away from pressing or anything - he's not being ridden as hard as usual, but he's still top 60 in PAP/avgPAP. Dude's old, yo.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:03 PM

Congrats on getting Gagne...

I hope we get a repeat of the fall classic from 1986.

Mets vs the Red Sox
Old 08-01-2007, 07:30 PM

It's only been one inning, but I already have that feeling that it's gonna be one of THOSE nights...
Old 08-01-2007, 07:39 PM

Have they announced Schilling's return date yet? I haven't been able to find it, but I'm going Saturday and Sunday. I know I'm seeing Dice-K Saturday, unsure whether it's Beckett or Schill on Sunday. I'm pretty happy either way, just curious.