Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Re: using the word \"gay\"

[ QUOTE ]
Why should that change anything when the people saying them are not using them in that form? Because one is a harsh slur and one isn't?

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I call someone the 'N' word instead of an African-American, there's no difference? To some people they might mean the same thing. One is a harsh slur, the other isn't. That makes all the difference.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard gay people use the word "gay" pejoratively several times. It's like black people using the n-word: it's only ok when they do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

except black people don't choose to be black, so it's different.

[/ QUOTE ]

People choose their sexual preference? I had no idea. This whole time I thought I was attracted to women by nature and not because I chose to be. So tommorrow I can be gay and then the next day I can be straight again if I like? That's cool.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jewed
Gypped

My wife used "gypped" last night and I laughed and told her she was biggoted against gypsies. She had no clue what I was talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a monthly flea market here in Nashville that my gf almost always goes to. I've jokingly referred to the people that have stalls there as "gypsies." A little while ago, my gf was telling me about her day at work (at a University) and mentioned that she told a coworker (foreigner born in Spain) that she had gone to see "the Gypsies" at the flea market over the weekend. I had to explain to her why that was not a good thing to say in a liberal, PC workplace, and tell her not to use "gypped" or anything like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is still a gypsie caravan that is advertised on the news here in st louis
Old 07-24-2007, 09:04 PM

Lame means crippled or disabled. How is lame politically correct to describe some random crap while gay isn't? Why hasn't the word gay been hijacked to mean stupid/lame while homosexuals start identifying themselves with some other word? I don't see a reason why language can't be more organic than it seems to be. Possibly a callous idea, but not too ridiculous.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before going to college, my friends and I would use the term "gay" fairly regularly to refer to any person/situation that we considered unfavorable, [censored], etc. But once I went to college (uber-liberal school on the east coast), I found that I had to make a conscious effort not to use the term since there was this overbearing culture of political correctness . It didn't really bother me that I had to stop using it, but now when I hear my friends use it in a context not referring to a homosexual, I always feel alarmed. Is this normal? How many OOTers use the word "gay" in everyday convo?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it because people are overbearingly PC, or is it because they accept other people and realize it's just pretty stupid to refer to use "gay" the same way high school and frat boys use it?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:50 PM

I have no idea why any sane man would choose to be heterosexual. Based on the past 2 days of my new job, I can say unequivocally that women are bitchy, neurotic, and boring.

So, if it were a choice, all you guys would be gay, amirite?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea why any sane man would choose to be heterosexual. Based on the past 2 days of my new job, I can say unequivocally that women are bitchy, neurotic, and boring.

So, if it were a choice, all you guys would be gay, amirite?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd love to but I always get tingly feelings whenever I see boobies!!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:00 PM

Nobody "owns" a sexuality.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lame means crippled or disabled. How is lame politically correct to describe some random crap while gay isn't?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because that's only one of the definitions. Others:

<ul type="square">[*](of an explanation or excuse) unconvincingly feeble[*](of something intended to be entertaining) uninspiring or dull[*] (of a person) naive or inept, esp socially[/list]
So basically if an idea is "injured" in some sense - it's just not very good, lacks substance, whatever - you can call it lame.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:06 PM

I prefer to say "smurf"