Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also I thought Neville should have gotten Bellatrix.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I definitely thought he should have too. It was queer that Mrs. Weasley called her a bitch in all capitals nonetheless. I really enjoyed the book though, read it in 6 hours straight, couldn't get away from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has JK Rowling been hanging out with Stephen King? This definitely seemed like a Stephen King CAPITALIZATION. Bellatrix definitely seemed like Neville's but it looks like he got a promotion and was even more important.

[ QUOTE ]

The only important part conveyed by the epilogue is that Harry is living happily ever after.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I read the epilogue as being a really longwinded (and better) way of saying "And they lived happily ever after".
Old 07-23-2007, 12:21 PM

My thoughts on the books:

1. Deaths. I thought this worked out pretty well. Enough deaths of important characters to illustrate the war, but not so many to kill the feeling of a happy ending.

Considering the first death was a previously unseen professor, I thought we might be in for a book full of meaningless deaths, but Hedwig and Moody soon solved that problem.

Poor Dobby! But, at least he went out helping his hero. That was, IMO, the most emotional death in the book.

I wish Fred didn't have to die, only because I wanted the entire Weasley family to make it through, but considering the whole family was on the front lines, someone was going to have to die.

Lupin and Pettigrew were going to have to reunite the Marauders in death, so no surprise there. (Did you notice they died in reverse order of their signatures on the Marauders Map, Moody, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs?)

Voldermorts death was a bit of a letdown. I guess after six books worth of his evilness, I wanted him to go down a bit more painfully.

Epilouge: Sure, there are things I'd like to know, but I think the point of Rowlings series was not about what job Harry, Ron or Hermione end up taking (although, I'll guess, in order, Quidditch player, Auror and Healer), but that these people, and their friends loved each other, that love helped them in their battles and that it will continue to the next generation.

Overall, a good story, but it seemed to read much differently from earlier books in the series.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what job Harry, Ron or Hermione end up taking (although, I'll guess, in order, Quidditch player, Auror and Healer)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you came to this conclusion, I can only guess that you didn't read books 4 - 6.

Did anyone pick up on the fact that both Harry and Voldemort were connected to the Peverell family? Which would make them distantly related, if I'm not mistaken, and perhaps even link Harry to Salazaar Slythern, as well?

I also noticed the "effing" and "BITCH" which caught my attention because before starting the book I was reflecting on the lack of language in the series thus far. I sort of like these subtleties contributing to the increasing darkness of the story.

I didn't like the whole scene with Voldemort putting the sorting hat on Neville. It seemed like a very contrived way to arm Neville with the Gryffindor sword in order to destroy the Horcrux... why the hell would Voldy bother doing that, wouldn't he either blast the kid with Avada Kedavra, or completely ignore him?

Also, did anyone else notice that during their search for Horcruxes, there was repeated mention of Luna's father's attempted duplication of the Ravenclaw diadem? I was so sure that that was going to turn out to be significant, but it didn't really.

Overall I absolutely loved the book... I can't wait to go back and reread it without trying to fly through to the end.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:48 AM

Seems I recall 'sl*t' being used in book 6.

Also: Harry Potter 8: Rise of the Goblins
Old 07-24-2007, 09:49 AM

One of the things I was disapointed about was the lack of snape interaction. He is by far my favorite character and we hardly got to see him do anything. I really wish that she could have given us a glimpse of hogwarts w/o harry and with snape as the headmaster. also, i did not like the wat which snape died. so unherioc and not befitting. and harry just happened to be there to get the memories.

another question. when neville stands up to LV and get the sorting hat placed on his head I was under the impression that he was being tortured between the good guys and the bad guys. yet he is suddenly right near nagini. also, what is the explanation of the sword coming out of the hat. as it mirrors CoS where harry does the same thing there must be some explanation. i was under the impression the heir of griffindor could summon it but how can both harry and neville be the heir?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the things I was disapointed about was the lack of snape interaction
also, i did not like the wat which snape died. so unherioc and not befitting. and harry just happened to be there to get the memories.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Prince's Tale was an excellent chapter, though, and confirmed exactly what we already guessed (Snape had been doing it all along out of dedication to Lily and remorse for her death) while adding new wrinkles (they knew each other from before Hogwarts, Petunia was more bitter and jealous than fearful of magic).

His death was heroic. He did not try to save himself. He knew from Dumbledore that Voldemort had to kill Potter, and confronted with Voldemort's concern that he could not do it with the wand as such, he sacrificed himself. The perfect double agent, right to the end.

And his last act was to give Harry the information he needed, as well as a personal confession.

As for Harry being there, JKR could have used just had Snape pull the memory and bottle it, and then Harry finds it. But why not just have Harry there? It worked better for the narrative, too, which followed Harry's perspective fully after the first chapter.

[ QUOTE ]
i was under the impression the heir of griffindor could summon it but how can both harry and neville be the heir?

[/ QUOTE ]

The phrase Dumbledore used in Chamber of Secrets was "only a true Gryffindor" meaning member of the house, not blood descendant.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:39 AM

The most important thing about Harry being there upon Snape's death was the "Look at me" stuff
Old 07-24-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what job Harry, Ron or Hermione end up taking (although, I'll guess, in order, Quidditch player, Auror and Healer)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did anyone pick up on the fact that both Harry and Voldemort were connected to the Peverell family? Which would make them distantly related, if I'm not mistaken, and perhaps even link Harry to Salazaar Slythern, as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea i think they must be distant cousins, but it's probably so distant that it's irrelevant. I'm sure most of the pureblood families are somehow intertwined