Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Legal workaround/possible $$ laundering for US players?

[ QUOTE ]

People have been saying that since the Whiskey Rebellion. If taxes were voluntary, no one would pay them. Maybe we should protest by not using government services. I know I'd be happy with a government 1/3 its current size.

It's clearly time for this conversation to move to Politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

i volunteer to stop using the DEA, IRS, and the DoD.

i think the fundamental issue is that most of you who advocate "pay the taxes or leave the country" believe this land is owned by the federal government and we just live here. i believe we own the land and the federal goverment is just a group of people we allow to run things until they piss us off.

yeah, this probably should move to politics but then the hardcores will scare most of the average people away and it will degrade into another statist vs anarchist.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

People have been saying that since the Whiskey Rebellion. If taxes were voluntary, no one would pay them. Maybe we should protest by not using government services. I know I'd be happy with a government 1/3 its current size.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the fundamental issue is that most of you who advocate "pay the taxes or leave the country" believe this land is owned by the federal government and we just live here. i believe we own the land and the federal goverment is just a group of people we allow to run things until they piss us off.

yeah, this probably should move to politics but then the hardcores will scare most of the average people away and it will degrade into another statist vs anarchist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no statist. I'm as libertarian as anyone here. However, we're not talking about Federal tyranny as much as we're talking about tyranny of the majority. Still tyranny, but it's an unfortunate byproduct of the system. We need to fight for our individual rights on election day.

As for tax protesters, it seems many are "silently protesting" by not paying. Is that really a protest, or is it simply hoping to get away with not paying taxes?

Anyway, every government ever in existence has collected mandatory taxes. I don't think advocating tax resistance on this public board will do us any good.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no statist. I'm as libertarian as anyone here. However, we're not talking about Federal tyranny as much as we're talking about tyranny of the majority. Still tyranny, but it's an unfortunate byproduct of the system. We need to fight for our individual rights on election day.

As for tax protesters, it seems many are "silently protesting" by not paying. Is that really a protest, or is it simply hoping to get away with not paying taxes?

Anyway, every government ever in existence has collected mandatory taxes. I don't think advocating tax resistance on this public board will do us any good.

[/ QUOTE ]

While advocating general tax resistance is futile at best, advocating for tax reform like Fair Tax vs. Personal Income tax is fine, as well as protesting the inequity of how gambling income is taxed.

There's another post here from a guy who has $10K in poker income from $180K in winning sessions and $170K in losing sessions. No reasonable person should accept raising one's AGI by $180K just to report $10K in income.

If we don't a) refuse to comply or b) at least raise some major protest over this, we're not being law-abiding citizens, we're bending over on request.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There's another post here from a guy who has $10K in poker income from $180K in winning sessions and $170K in losing sessions. No reasonable person should accept raising one's AGI by $180K just to report $10K in income.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. and this stuff isnt law, its just some jerkoff IRS agent's decision. imagine if they start saying one hand is a session.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we don't a) refuse to comply or b) at least raise some major protest over this, we're not being law-abiding citizens, we're bending over on request.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that we should be raising a major protest. I simply question the motives of those who seemingly advocate all big government spending, then skip out on the payment.

Gambling tax laws suck. We should lobby that at the source, I think. The IRS didn't create this; Congress did. This law needs changing.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:20 PM

If I can find the info in my office computer, the IRS was working on some new regulations BEFORE the UIGEA was passed and I believe those were put on hold.

This would have been address and from the drafts I had it appeared they were drafting stuff that would have applied to off shore gaming sites cashing out winning as well.

I think I kept them (I hope).

Bottom line, the rule is an IRS rule not one passed specifically by congress, I think. There have been many tax court cases over this issue.

obg