Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2007, 08:44 PM

Default A unique \"fear\" of playing

I've been playing poker for 6 or so years now, only 2 or so very seriously, and now that I've spent weeks in Las Vegas for WSOP and what not, this problem/mentality has become more apparent than ever.

I am almost afraid to play. I always try to find reasons not to go to the strip to play live, though I took the vast majority of my roll offline to do so. Even online, its like I have an innate fear of losing. To be honest, this hasn't stopped me from making money in poker; quite the contrary, I NEVER play scared money no matter if I'm playing overrolled or taking a big shot. I always play my best and if anything am sure to always try and make the very best of decisions once I do decide to sit down.

I just can't figure out why I feel this way. Once I sit im fine, and I play fine, but before this point I just skirt around the idea of playing. WHAT THE [censored] IS WRONG WITH ME?

Does anyone else ever experience this feeling with anything? This happens with things outside of poker as well...its like I innately dread doing it, but once I do it I'm happy and fine.

I love poker and love it being my primary source of income. I believe I have every quality in approach to the technical aspects of the game and mentality in terms of my emotions at the table, online etc.... but I just can't figure out why I always experience the feeling of skirting around playing until I force myself to sit down.

What say you, psych forum?