Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2006, 11:01 AM

Default Limit MTT, strategy question.

I play quite a lot of limit holdem cash games but when it comes to limit MTT I'm not doing great.

If your plan was to win a big limit MTT would you go for a style having a higher variance, slightly looser than optimal cash play or you would stick with a tight strategy and solid play ? It seems to me that the successfull people in the few tourney I played were quite looser than I am.

Could anyone refer me to any discussion on that matter ? I would greatly appreciate.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Limit MTT, strategy question.

Last year during the fall I accidentally joined a limit SNG (party) and found that I kill them them. Although I tried to pick them back up this year without any successes, but with a small sample.

Only played one under the new party setup and it felt different to say the least.

But they're a good way for getting a better feel and experimenting when it comes to tournament style limit, I think.

I've only played maybe 2-3 limit MTT tournaments at the micro stakes, and I went deep in one. I keep trying to remember to play more.

As for strategy, it's been awhile, but I think I played pretty tight in these, especially since you had the 800 chipstacks. Playing speculative hands in multiway pots always seemed to hurt me more than help. My starting requirements were probably tighter than for NL SNGs, especially without the implied odds.

Then, also like NL, I loosen up as it becomes shorter and the blinds get higher. Blind steals are an important part of strategy still, and do work, and since they can't put you all-in there is more postflop play.

But the rule I sorta developed was that playing a speculative hand like ace-rag suited just lost me chips that would be better put behind my big pairs so I gain more chips with them.

I'd suggest trying the limit SNGs out to really see if your strategy is bad, because you could have a long string of weak MTT results and be playing great, at least I've been able to convince myself of that.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:27 PM

I prefer limit mtt's I find that the field is usually tougher in these games. Im sure that will be debated.

I usually find that the chips earned in the early stages are insignificant. Although, getting small stacked early is far worse.

A squeaky tight table image is important in the early stages as many people will be firing away at early pots.

As difficult as blind stealing is in limit, it will be possible later on.
The bubble is where I feel limit changes. It is much better to play a really tight game here too. IMO
Old 03-03-2006, 01:33 PM

mig, just goes to show you limit mtt's get no love !!!