Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Unusual Reaction To Teenage Pregnancy

My cousin (17 years old) got pregnant about 5 months ago and barely told her mother last week. The reaction of the mother was to take her to the doctor so they could use a machine to see the fetus. She said it was a very cute baby girl and loves the idea of having a new baby in the house. Is this right? I thought that her reaction was kind of insane, but at the same time I couldn’t really see anything wrong with it. It felt wrong, but couldn’t I figure out why. So I ask OOT, What is wrong with this type of reaction to teenage pregnancy? Am I just being a douche bag for thinking the reaction is wrong? What would your reaction be if you had a daughter and she got pregnant at 17?

Edit: I made this post because me and my brother in law discussed this. I took the side of, "WTF she is 17 she shouldnt be pregnant" and he took the side of, "babies are always a blessing and its awesome that she is having one."
Old 06-18-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Unusual Reaction To Teenage Pregnancy

No. Her outward reaction was absolutely correct.

Her daughter is going to have a baby in 4 months and it is too late to do anything about it. It is best that she is a supportive mother at a time when her daughter really needs it.

Is your Aunt capable of not outwardly expressing her concern in front of her daughter when she knows that it is best not to do so?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is your Aunt capable of not outwardly expressing her concern in front of her daughter when she knows that it is best not to do so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. She really meant what she said. She really feels happy to have a new baby in the house. It will be like her baby though.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"babies are always a blessing and its awesome that she is having one."

[/ QUOTE ]
When I read something like this the COPS theme song starts playing in my head.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. She really meant what she said. She really feels happy to have a new baby in the house. It will be like her baby though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was she born in America? Is she religious?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's great that she's supportive, because as already said, there's nothing you can do at this point than support. However, if the support is for the reason I quoted above, this kid is in trouble.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:30 PM

Well, there's the other empty nest / wanting grandchildren anyway. I don't know the situation. Also there are many people who are religious (or believe that everything happens for a reason). Anyway, I think the girl is lucky to have her mom have this kind of a reaction.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was she born in America? Is she religious? Is she a Republican?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-18-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was she born in America? Is she religious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not American. She is middle class and educated, lives in Mexico. She is somewhat religious. Thats what makes this more unusual.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not American. She is middle class and educated, lives in Mexico. She is somewhat religious. Thats what makes this more unusual.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to act like I know Mexicans because I've lived in SoCal for a month and a half, but if you ask me, there's nothing unusual about it now that you have stated that.