Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 01:57 PM

Default Re: The hand vs Matusow

[ QUOTE ]
Just b/c he happens to be a very good and well known player, shouldn't change your reaction to his posts. If he was some random dude, he has every right to state his opinions about David's play. It just makes it funny, when you call out someone then realize....oh S#&*$

David,
Care to discuss why seeing a free river card is so bad here?
He is more likely to bet the hands we are behind, isn't a check-call on most rivers, a profitable play if he checks behind on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Agreed.

2. Yes, yes, yes. David, I would love to hear your thoughts. This would have been my line. I don't see why it is so important to be making moves with this particular hand. I would love to see the river and/or get to a showdown cheaply. If Mike's ready to make a move he will do so regardless of whether you check or bet the turn, won't he? Putting in some chips just makes it move inviting to him. I'm not understanding the logic of this hand.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:01 PM

Again, I do apologize, I'm not really a 'respected' poster or one whom should change your decision to post here. I'm still a noob in many ways and am trying to learn from 2+2 and my irritation at work parlayed into a dumb post.

It shouldn't have been posted to anyone, regardless of whether you are well known or not.

Please accept my apology.

Brad
Old 03-01-2006, 02:37 PM

Hi David,

This is one of the sweetest hands you'll have this year, because of the player and the situation. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think the line you took was risky: you committed your stack with middle pair (with a fair draw), against an aggressive player. I would have done it for vendetta reasons alone, and the bounty makes it easy, but if you take away those I think you get shown a better hand more frequently than not (when you get all your chips in), even by Matusow.

I don't like your flop line. Once you check/call the flop, it's unlikely that you have a J; aj, kj,qj,jt,j9 aren't going to hang around for another card (most likely). Villain is going to represent the J, and you are going to have to check/fold alot of turns.

Once the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] comes, I think you are committed to getting all your chips in before the river given the nature of the player, and it doesn't matter whether you bet or check.

Given the stack sizes and the fact that villain will offer a continuation bet almost all of the time, I'd c/r the flop to 4K.
He can make the first tough decision for all his chips.

Another interesting hand that illustrates many different approaches.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:43 PM

Everyone has a bad day, shake it off.

I actually like hear how other than the so-called online professional play this hand. (not meant to be derrogatory to all you onliners) I feel it is hard to play against non-thinkers or players just starting out. If I can consistently think like they do, I would have a lot better results early in a tournament. I, sometimes, for the life of me, can't figure out how and why they would make a certain move. When others (<50 posts) do comment, I can sometimes see their rationale but don't necessarily agree with it but to each his own. I feel I am getting closer understanding their thought process but these non-pros make some really outlandish calls/bets.

Again, shake it off Nez. Maybe you should personally send him an apology. It might help.

Stipe_fan
Old 03-01-2006, 02:52 PM

I have thought a lot more about this hand, trying to put myself in David's position each step of the way, and no longer take issue with it at any step along the way. The turn is really the only spot I see where it could have been played differently. I think I like the check/push (or see the river) line better.

Nice hand, David, and congrats.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:20 PM

Mike talks about this hand at the start of the circut.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:23 PM

When you listen to matusow talk about the hand on the circuit, you really realize what a degenerate gambling moron he is. He doesn't even bother to realize that David did have the best hand. If David doesn't have the best hand he has more than enough outs to make it a profitable call. And oh, yeah mike, you DIDNT HAVE 21 OUTS.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:35 PM

The fact this guy gets radio shows and endorsements is a major stain on the game of poker right now.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:06 PM

After talking with Carl (colson) and Mike (MLG), I agree with them and some of you here, that the best line is to check raise the turn. I wanted to win the pot right there, confuse him, what did he think I have with my line preflop-flop-turn? ; that's why I bet, and of course since he has only 9300 left and the pot had 3300, I was worried he could bet too much in the turn or check and then if I missed the river, I would be in a tough spot to call. I also have trouble to check raise AI with a draw and only one card to come, since Mike is gonna be probably committed to call. But yes, the check raising line is superior.
I'm pretty sure Mike forgot about the bounty, definitely he not being comfortable when I was tanking and I talked to him was the main factor that made me call.
He talked about this hand in the circuit. He said I was a weak player; probably so, but he said that because of the time he had been playing with me, before that hand I was basically have won every pot I was in, almost all without showing any cards; don't know exactly how he noticed my weakness. He also said he bet only 700 in the flop, raised to 11k in the turn and had 21 outs (with one card to come); all false statements. I guess every unknown player that bust him is a donk. But he didn't call me a donk after the hand, he reluctantly shaked my hand for the photo but was visible mad because of my call. Even I thought now the best line it was a check raise, given all the information I have at the moment, the call was a fine play.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:07 PM

dammit, I was imagining matusow in an ironic slew of racial epithets and sirio and the tournament director banning his chat by duct taping his mouth closed for the remainder of the tournament...