Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Pushing ranges

I've been playing MTTs for a while but I still get a little dumbfounded in situations where I'm sitting in early position w/ 44-88 with 12-14 BBs and it gets folded to me. It's really frustrating because you have enough chips to fold and wait for a better hand but not enough to raise and fold to a repush unless you're read is really good on the player who is repushing behind you. My standard has been to go ahead and reluctantly push with 44-88 in these situations. I fold 22 and 33 in early position unless I have less than 10BBs. I'd like to know for sure what the optimal play is (or at least what most of you think is the optimal play).
Old 06-13-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Pushing ranges

if the blinds are getting up there and you have 12-14BBs and the pot big then id do an all in move... basically it depends on the situation ... are u on the bubble and want to make the money (fold everything except AA-JJ) whats the tables image ...whats your image...this is way to general and i just depend it on situations
Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 PM

w 12 to 14 bb thats way too much to blindly shove from ep. i like sklanskys idea here. im not too short yet so i can play a speculative hand cheap and hope to flop a set. i really don't think a limp or standard raise/ fold to rerai is that bad. i know im in the minority on this one but shoving w 44 from ep is giving up in my opinion. a standard raise w get respect so steal attempt is ok and give u an exit plan. shoving gives you a different type of exit plan
Old 06-13-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing MTTs for a while but I still get a little dumbfounded in situations where I'm sitting in early position w/ 44-88 with 12-14 BBs and it gets folded to me. It's really frustrating because you have enough chips to fold and wait for a better hand but not enough to raise and fold to a repush unless you're read is really good on the player who is repushing behind you. My standard has been to go ahead and reluctantly push with 44-88 in these situations. I fold 22 and 33 in early position unless I have less than 10BBs. I'd like to know for sure what the optimal play is (or at least what most of you think is the optimal play).

[/ QUOTE ]

88-66 I will push from early position with less than 10 orbits in my stack if I feel the time is right.

55-22 I am waiting to open push from the cutoff or later.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:27 AM

I'd probably fold all those except maybe 88 you could push that I guess. 10M is more than 10 BBs.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:31 AM

easy push. You only have 4 bbs and QJs is awesome when you have 4 bbs, plus you have first in vigorish.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:54 AM

I find the pushbot charts invaluable in these situations (and sometimes surprising!). I do tend to undercalculate my M slightly when using them, myself, and there are situations where pushbotting doesn't make sense despite the charts, but they are a good guide to short stack ninja play.
Linkiepoo