Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Several Hotshots Supposedly Broke Or In Debt

Tstone and crancspanc GREAT posts
Old 05-29-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brad Booth in debt over a Million. Guy is major busto

Daniel N is also busto, not life busto, just cash busto. He had money invested well so not hurting in the game of life, but his poker bankroll is gone.

Jennifer Harman same thing. But she has many properties in town and has a fortune in real estate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh what...you think the creator of Cirque De Soleil (Guy) is "major busto?" He's prolly worth close to a billion if not more...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you notice how Nick puts each person who is busto in a separate paragraph? He is not saying that Guy is busto, he is referring to Brad Booth as 'guy.' If he wanted to be more clear, he would have said 'That guy is major busto.' but instead went for a more informal approach.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the very least, it seems fairly common knowledge that BB is known to often open all-in blind for like 50k in a mid-limit NL game(5-10 or so).

[/ QUOTE ]
He moves all in for $50K in an NL game with 5-10 blinds? As in open pushing with a 5000 BB stack? haha WTF. Is this in live uncapped games or what?

I'm assuming other people in those games don't have stacks anywhere near that big to have to risk so much to call him?

Anyways I've heard interviews with Brad Booth and he sounds a bit brain dead. There was an interview with him on the Rounders podcast trying to explain his huge bluff against Ivey and he basically said that he did it because he wanted to be feared and respected. Just from the way he talks you can tell that he's not very well educated though. I'm not saying that means that he's not an great poker player, but he sure doesn't sound like an articulate and smart person like Greenstein does.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:41 PM

"Guy" is referencing Brad Booth.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying that means that he's not an great poker player, but he sure doesn't sound like an articulate and smart person like Greenstein does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing as how Greenstein is easily the most well-spoken poker hotshot out there, this is a bad comparison. Very few people do sound as articulate and smart.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DS,

Wait a sec, you're saying that among a lot of guys at a similar level of skill, the ones that run the hottest will often jump up to higher levels and some of them will run hot there as well and be perceived as being far better than they really are? Thanks, hard to imagine why nobody had thought of that as a possibility until now.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG! Brilliant light just passed before my eyes.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:55 PM

Another piece to this is that to some extent "pro's" were defined as "people that ESPN/WPT told us were names back in 2003"

So people who may have been violently busto and super stakes are thought of as something more than iffy degens.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:59 PM

WTF. A lot of us could beat the big game. I know a couple of guys I play with weekly who would beat the big game. It's just a matter of having a lot of gamble and keep playing higher until you have enough to sit in it. Than you have to get cards and hope they hold to remain in it for a while. Just like Greenstein says in his book, " I don't know who the best player in the world is, he could be some kid in a small town that nobodies ever heard of. He's just never had a shot to prove himself yet."
[censored], if I didn't catch a bad beat on the TV tourney I played in, got a few more good hands, and won some critical coinflips I would be a poker superstar right now. (In my own little head of course). Point is, skill can only get you so far most of the time. For example: pay the bills. remain unknown, but know in your head you could beat the big game. But luck can get you nationally recognized amongst the poker community, if that's what you desire, than go ahead. Me, I'm content beating live NL games across the world for a healthy profit. I like to be under the radar. I enjoy the inside joke that is when I sit at a table of strangers they all lick their chops, than I get up from the table and I'm the one who's full. It builds a lot more character than the other route.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 05-29-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

PS When the pros took on Beal they had significant trouble raising $15M and asked for outside help to raise a fund....shows how fking piddly small this game really is

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting