Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Americas public schools

I noticed that Boston Latin was the only MA school in the top 100. A little misleading since Boston Latin, although public, is a test school and takes the smartest kids in the whole city. The rest of the publics in Boston aren't spectacular.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed that Boston Latin was the only MA school in the top 100. A little misleading since Boston Latin, although public, is a test school and takes the smartest kids in the whole city. The rest of the publics in Boston aren't spectacular.

[/ QUOTE ]

they clearly arent very smart if their average SAT score is less than 1300.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're prob being sarcastic but 1300 is an insanely high for an average.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
its a pretty crap rating though:

Advanced Placement, Intl. Baccalaureate and/or Cambridge tests taken by all students at a school in 2006 divided by the number of graduating seniors.

my school only made top 20 cause it pressured all its kids to take AP classes even if they weren't qualified.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how they did it? That's a pretty absurd ranking system. They didn't even take into account the average score on said tests?

[/ QUOTE ]

This metric will actually negatively impact the AP courses as schools just load the classes with bodies to score high. Meanwhile the content is dumbed down for students who have no business taking that AP hurting the chances of the kids who do.

J
Old 05-22-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're prob being sarcastic but 1300 is an insanely high for an average.

[/ QUOTE ]

its only 1.5 SD from the mean, but i see what you are saying. However, I wouldn't think that the top 3 high schools in my area (newport, mercer island, and skyline) would have an average that high (they aren't magnet schools either as the article would suggest). I guess it all comes down to having a 30-50% asian class.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:04 PM

looking at top SAT scores or number of AP classes taken isn't a great way to find the best schools. i would rather try to measure the value added by a school. e.g. a school that takes kids from disfunctional and poor families and has average SAT scores of 1200 may be better than a school in some exclusive neighborhood with average SAT scores of 1300.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:20 PM

190 West Morris Mendham ** Mendham N.J. 2.655 0.800 81.000

Went to that one. Had a 2.7 GPA in HS then went to a [censored] state school. Proceeded to do the same amount of work as in HS (virtually none)... ended with a 3.5.

My dad's high school is 505 (John Hersey in Arlington Heights, IL). I knew a couple kids that went to a couple schools on the list. That's it though.

I can tell you about City Honors in Buffalo since I live in the area.

City Honors is a school in the city of Buffalo that takes only a certain percentage of kids from the city based upon an entry exam. The school is public only in the sense that it is run by the city and is a free school to attend if you score in the top X number of students that are admitted for the year.

The city of Buffalo is not a wealthy district, but the school lunch percentage reported is well below half of the rate in the entire city district. I wouldn't be surprised if the reported rate is the lowest of any of the high schools in the city.

I think it would be more interesting to see a list of schools without any selection criteria to limit the student population.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:23 PM

smoked a joint with a kid from #85 once.

it was brown weed and he thought it was great, so this list means very little.