Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: is there such a thing as an online tournament poker pro ?

If it's 1.5-2 hr per tourney, then avg bustout rate is faster than I thought (the two are inversely proportionate).

Assuming you're only playing the big $ tournies and don't play endless sessions then with this higher bustout rate your avg # tournies played simultaneously is maybe 2.5 ? I don't see how it could be much larger than that, given the low frequency of making it deep and the long tail of the distribution of avg hrs per tourney.

So on Stars ($282K / 1911 ) * (2.5 / 1.75) = $210 / hr

Not bad. Glad to hear it's higher than my guesstimates.

Once again, I intended this thread to be about no more than what I titled it. Anyone who extrapolates and makes assumptions about what I think outside of that narrow topic has created an imaginary foe.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:54 AM

Obviously it's very player dependant on how fast players bustout, but I think that's pretty fair. On a typical night for myself I'll play the $100r, the Fuper, the Stuper, the UB 30k, and Stars $20r. Depending on the night sometimes the Bodog $50k and/or UB $75k, this is obv much different on Sundays. As I bust out of tournaments I often replace the tables with cash game tables, which offsets a lot of the hourly rate losses, although I typically play cash games at stakes where it's kinda brainless so it doesn't make my cash/MTT game suffer too much.

You also have to realize that tournament selection is paramount to hourly rate and there is definitely a saturation point where playing more will decrease your hourly rate. There are only so many good tournaments anymore (in 2006 there were a lot more juicy ones with big prize pools with Party/Paradise around) and going beyond that selection will obv increase your overall winnings but decrease your hourly rate since your expectation is often lower in them due to lower buy ins and/or field size.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but my time is valuable to me so I play a schedule that maximizes my hourly rate. The online MTT pro who plays 70-80 hrs/week probably makes significantly less hourly, but more total since i feel there is a diminishing rate of returns on a lot of the tournaments available today (which is part of the reason I've gotten more into cash games lately).

-Rizen

[ QUOTE ]
If it's 1.5-2 hr per tourney, then avg bustout rate is faster than I thought (the two are inversely proportionate).

Assuming you're only playing the big $ tournies and don't play endless sessions then with this higher bustout rate your avg # tournies played simultaneously is maybe 2.5 ? I don't see how it could be much larger than that, given the low frequency of making it deep and the long tail of the distribution of avg hrs per tourney.

So on Stars ($282K / 1911 ) * (2.5 / 1.75) = $210 / hr

Not bad. Glad to hear it's higher than my guesstimates.

Once again, I intended this thread to be about no more than what I titled it. Anyone who extrapolates and makes assumptions about what I think outside of that narrow topic has created an imaginary foe.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-24-2007, 01:15 AM

OK - I'm bumping this because I have a slightly different question that doesn't really deserve its own thread.

Is it possible to grind out a living playing exclusively $20-$50 tourneys? Is this basically what Deeb does/did (I seem to see his name in higher buy-in tourneys more now)? I imagine it wouldn't be so glamourous, but could you make enough to live decently (say, would it be achivable to earn $50K/year playing 5 days/30 hours a week?).

A lot of the tourneys I play in at the site I spend most time on are <200 players. This would reduce variance, right? As opposed to playing <$50 tourneys on Stars which have huge fields?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:34 AM

You can easily make >100k a year playing just the 20 180s.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK - I'm bumping this because I have a slightly different question that doesn't really deserve its own thread.

Is it possible to grind out a living playing exclusively $20-$50 tourneys? Is this basically what Deeb does/did (I seem to see his name in higher buy-in tourneys more now)? I imagine it wouldn't be so glamourous, but could you make enough to live decently (say, would it be achivable to earn $50K/year playing 5 days/30 hours a week?).

A lot of the tourneys I play in at the site I spend most time on are <200 players. This would reduce variance, right? As opposed to playing <$50 tourneys on Stars which have huge fields?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say yes simply because there's a massive amount of volume and combine that with the weak play so if you legitimately play that much I think you could make >50k a year on $10-$50 buy-ins
Old 05-24-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can easily make >100k a year playing just the 20 180s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without actually doing the maths involved, do enough 20/180s run for this to be possible realistically?

What is your ROI assumption here and hours played? Seems like this would require a ton of hours to actually accomplish
Old 05-24-2007, 02:00 AM

Just play like 30 a day with a 60% ROI. Shaundeeb plays like 30 at a time.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just play like 30 a day with a 60% ROI. Shaundeeb plays like 30 at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'd find it incredibly difficult to play 30 20/180s at a time considering they probably only run 1 every what, 20 minutes during peak times? Maybe less often even. Which was my point - there just aren't enough of 'em running and even if you can play 30 in a day that's going to take you alllll freaking day to do, definitely not 30 hours a week!

So I stand by my calling you out on making 100k/year at the 20/180s "easy"
Old 05-24-2007, 02:24 AM

Okay you win.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:26 AM

OK - so WarDekar, you agree that it *is* possible to make a decent living off of $10-$50 tourneys, just not >$100K exclusively off of $20 180's as Thay3r suggested?