Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Golf Digest Article: The New Swing

[ QUOTE ]
Players who fight a high snap hook may find a benefit from trying to "cover" the ball more with the chest (page 123). Keep in mind that Badds is exaggerating the positions in the article. Look at his position at the top for example, then look at the tiny little photos that comprise the border of the article. Those little photos are his real swing sequence, and you can probably spot the differences. (Look where his head is relative to the ball at the top for example)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is spot on...
Old 05-15-2007, 02:03 PM

I tried this a bit at the range this morning. It was hard to do the lean forward because I'm so used to keeping my head behind the ball and it felt weird.

It was much easier to do the "straighten up at impact" part of it. One thing that it did was to really help you get your hands closer to your body at impact. I've been having problems lately keeping my hands closer to my body and that really helped. I'll have to mess around with it some more. Leaning foward still felt really strange though.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:24 PM

This isn't all that revolutionary. It's pretty similar to:

1. Jim Hardy's one-plane swing. Differences here are minor: Hardy focuses on arm-travel on the through-swing whereas P&B focus on body rotation, but they pretty much accomplish the same thing. Both feature an "odd" weight-distribution at the top of the backswing.

2. Hank Haney's arm-plane swing, aka TW's post-2004 swing. Haney focuses more on the position of the arms throughout the backswing, but the position at the top ends up being very similar: lots of rotation, very little right-side loading, straightish right leg. Emphasis on body rotation on the throught swing is exactly the same as P&B's emphasis.

3. Sam Snead's swing. Carbon-copy backswing, very similar through swing.

All four result in the same sort of ballstriking results: flat high-spin trajectory, accurate short-irons, but some loss of distance on longer irons, woods and driver.

To further emphasize that Stack And Tilt is not all that revolutionary, the following are tour pros that, to my knowledge, aren't working with P&B but have pretty much that exact swing type (off the top of my head):

Arron Oberholser, Zach Johnson, Ken Duke, Mark Wilson, John Rollins, Heath Slocum, Ted Purdy.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:30 PM

David Duval sort of had this move going as well.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:35 PM

Pretty funny, that is almost exactly how I swing (which I'd always been told was completely wrong).

Plus points (for me) are that I strike the ball very well and hit all my irons straight on a nice trajectory.

Downside is that I don't have the same reliability with the driver for some reason. Also I lose about 5%-10% yardage vs. a more traditional swing.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:59 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

Well I was flying home to New Orleans today and read this article. I have to say, I'm intrigued. I'd love to give it a shot, though I'm not quite sure where (or to whom) I could go for more info if I hit a roadblock.

Btw, am I the only one who, as a poker player, would love to be able to refer to my swing as the "Stack and Tilt"?

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2007, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty funny, that is almost exactly how I swing (which I'd always been told was completely wrong).

Plus points (for me) are that I strike the ball very well and hit all my irons straight on a nice trajectory.

Downside is that I don't have the same reliability with the driver for some reason. Also I lose about 5%-10% yardage vs. a more traditional swing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make the same swing except start with your weight more behind the ball. Cover your right axis instead of the ball and this will move the bottom of your swing to slightly behind the ball, as opposed to just in front of it.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:25 AM

If you're a 5 handicap, there is no way in hell you should be changing your swing. I've heard of too many people trying to change their swing, only to have the result of confusion and wishing they never ever tried to change.

I dunno. If you do try'n change, I guess let us know.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:56 PM

Why shouldn't a 5 handicap change their swing?