Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Final Table $200 Horse Tourney FTP

I'm at the final table now but I'm really shortstacked.

Come root me on if you'd like. I'm HoyaSDaxa.

I have two hands I'm going to post tomorrow I thought were interesting.

-ChipsAhoya
Old 05-14-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Final Table $200 Horse Tourney FTP -- Two hands posted

Here are two hands I thought were interesting from the tournament last night. One is 7-stud hi/lo, the other is a razz hand vs. Andy Bloch.

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High-Low (600/1,200), Ante 100, Bring-In 200 (converter)

Seat 1: 13,387
Seat 2: 5,486
Seat 3: 10,228
Seat 5: 6,232
Hero: 10,010
Seat 7: 6,271
Seat 8: 11,783

3rd Street - (1.17 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

I thought this was a good time for a steal raise with my "two way" hand. I suppose I have to call the re-raise with my two overs...

4th Street - (5.50 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

I don't want to bluff the low draw I don't have here.

5th Street - (2.75 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

Even though he checked fourth street, I didn't think I could bet this. I probably have 10 outs and can still make a low so 3.75:1 would be good enough to c/c here.

6th Street - (2.75 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___ (Hero...?)
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___

Is it too risky that he'll keep checking that I have to bet this or is it a good spot to try for the c/r w/ the "busted low draw?"

Tournament - Razz (1,200/2,400), Ante 200, Bring-In 400 (converter)

Seat 1: 13,632
Seat 2: 8,236
Seat 3: 16,445
Seat 4: 8,645
Seat 5: 28,274
Hero: 11,510
Seat 7: 16,799
Seat 8 (Andy Bloch): 19,907

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

Even though there were the threes out there, I felt I had to raise because of the tournament situation, gap concept and whatnot. Would this be okay still in a cash game? Obv. I call the re-raise.

4th Street - (5.67 SB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

I can't do anything but bet here, right? I don't know what c/c or c/r would accomplish.

5th Street - (3.83 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

He knows that didn't pair me...

6th Street - (5.83 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___(...)

I have a seven now. I thought about checking but would that fool a pro? I also didn't want to risk losing the big tourney pot, but again, what would be the cash game consideration?

Thanks.

-ChipsAhoya
Old 05-14-2007, 04:20 PM

hand 1: fold 3rdx2, bet 5th, bet 6th
Old 05-14-2007, 04:27 PM

Why fold third the first time around?

-ChipsAhoya
Old 05-14-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why fold third the first time around?

-ChipsAhoya

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you have rags. and got raised.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:24 PM

Re: the stud/8 hand

I don't think trying to steal here is terrible...if people are playing real tight and there's a good chance of getting away with it, fine. Most of the babies have folded with a Q, 7 and BI 2 yet to play. I would still fold this hand and the problem is if you get played back at which would put me in a spot where I wouldn't know how to play the later streets.

You don't really have a two-way hand. What you have is very weak in both directions and if someone joins the pot with you, he'll likely be far ahead in at least one direction and put the heat on you. What comes down on 4th Street (especially for you) is critical.

When the betting comes back around to you again on 3rd, my instinct again is to dump it just because I'd have no idea how to play this hand. But I'm not sure if it's mathematically correct.

4th is a definite check. He's calling here even if you do have a 4-card Eight.

5th is close but since I think he'd probably call, I prefer checking. I might call his bet and feel dirty doing it though.

6th I would absolutely bet out. I want to get this hand over with and it's a disaster if it checks behind. I'd rather put him to a tough decision anyway. If he puts you on a 4-card low + pair I think he'll have a tough time betting if he still has just one pair.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:09 PM

On the stud/8 hand, I would not try to steal here. You've got not only the Q but also a 7 and the bring-in that could call with a low hand. If you had only the Q or the 7 behind, I would probably raise. But I think your hand is too weak to steal with two players behind you. It's close though -- if you had a live 2-flush, I think I would probably raise.

As played, I'm not sure what I do on 4th. I understand not wanting to bluff the low hand you don't have, but I think a bet is preferable. First, if you catch an ace on 5th, you probably win right away, and he may also fold if you catch an 8. Second, his checking indicates that there is a non-zero chance that he doesn't have a Q, in which case you may win the pot with a bet (although unlikely). For example, he could have reraised with (A3)Qs or something like (55)Q. Also, for the cost of an extra small bet the big streets plays more easily.

However, I can also see the argument for checking behind here. You raised on a steal and were caught, and even though you caught "good" on 4th you didn't really improve. Checking behind gives you an opportunity to spike an ace or a king. I think the decision here for me is opponent-specific. If he will fold on 5th if I catch another low, I would bet.

As played, I think 5th is a must-bet. When you check on 4th, from your opponent's perspective you may have paired up, making trips credible (although his catching another 4 doesn't help). Since the pot is smallish due to your checking behind, I think a bet on 5th wins outright a fair amount of the time, and provides cover for you when you make low trips in the future. If you bet and he calls, you're betting again when you catch the king on 6th.

As played again, on 6th I would just bet. If he pays you with Q's, great. But having passed on a bet on 4th, and having checked behind you on 5th, there's a chance he's got no pair and picked up a four-flush on 5th. Since he checked behind you on 5th, I see no reason to believe he will bet on 6th. I would just bet it.

On the razz hand, I don't see how you can even think about checking here. First, checking this board is inherently suspect and anyone competent will know you have a big hand. Second, when he calls on 5th after you catch the case 3, you know he didn't pair on 4th, and given the strength of your board and the fact that he knows the 3 didn't pair you, he is probably drawing to a 7 -- and very likely a 7 that can beat you if you do not improve. I see no argument for checking and giving him a free chance to make his hand. Also, if you check 6th and bet 7th, it's not likely he will pay you off with a worse hand -- there is a slim chance he pays you off with 874x or 8732A, but that's it. I can't see one good reason to think about checking this hand.