Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: any benefits to mensa?

I took the test in college for the hell of it and I passed, and paid the dues for one year. I don't pay them anymore, but I still put it on resumes. I don't know if it helps or not. And no, 25% of OOT couldn't pass the test, maybe 3% (slightly higher than the national average).
Old 05-13-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not a brag, but im pretty sure i can pass a mensa test. <font color="red"> pretty sure at least 25% of OOT can too </font> (they claim 2% of general population)

test costs 40 bucks.

i was wondering are there any benefits to joining this? such as bumping up your resume, networking? im not very interested in hanging out with the actual group, just seeing if this will help in any way in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not likely that 25% of OOT can pass the test, what is likely is that 25% of OOT believe they can pass the test.

Let us know the result.

ToT

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, AFAIK, this isn't some scam organization where just about anyone will pass the test. They legitimately only want the top 2% of IQ's (120+ IQ I think). Unless 2+2 is highly skewed genius, 25% is insane. Poker players think they are smarter than they really are, hence the existence of donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

2+2 IS highly-skewed genius. You have to (1) take the time to learn poker (admittedly a very low bar) (2) take the time to study it somewhat (bar is raised markedly) (3) have the attention span/interest requisite to find this forum (now we're getting fairly smart) and (4) have the level of witticism (maybe not that great) and self-confidence/vocabulary strength to post in OOT (that's not insignificant). You're getting into a pretty high IQ group when you get past (4).

Many of the people here are pretty fricking intelligent in my eyes, and I've led a fairly sheltered, privileged life surrounded by fairly gifted people. Trust me, you most likely don't spend much time speaking to 100 IQ people, and that's the average. If most of us here spent any length of time conversing with them, we'd find them borderline retarded (not to sound arrogant, it's just true). Even the level of their sporting event analysis would be lacking to a noticeable degree.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:05 PM

I think as usual my brilliant joke when over the heads of most of you. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think as usual my brilliant joke when over the heads of most of you. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most of us didn't want to make Groucho roll over in his grave.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not a brag, but im pretty sure i can pass a mensa test. <font color="red"> pretty sure at least 25% of OOT can too </font> (they claim 2% of general population)

test costs 40 bucks.

i was wondering are there any benefits to joining this? such as bumping up your resume, networking? im not very interested in hanging out with the actual group, just seeing if this will help in any way in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not likely that 25% of OOT can pass the test, what is likely is that 25% of OOT believe they can pass the test.

Let us know the result.

ToT

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, AFAIK, this isn't some scam organization where just about anyone will pass the test. They legitimately only want the top 2% of IQ's (120+ IQ I think). Unless 2+2 is highly skewed genius, 25% is insane. Poker players think they are smarter than they really are, hence the existence of donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

2+2 IS highly-skewed genius. You have to (1) take the time to learn poker (admittedly a very low bar) (2) take the time to study it somewhat (bar is raised markedly) (3) have the attention span/interest requisite to find this forum (now we're getting fairly smart) and (4) have the level of witticism (maybe not that great) and self-confidence/vocabulary strength to post in OOT (that's not insignificant). You're getting into a pretty high IQ group when you get past (4).

Many of the people here are pretty fricking intelligent in my eyes, and I've led a fairly sheltered, privileged life surrounded by fairly gifted people. Trust me, you most likely don't spend much time speaking to 100 IQ people, and that's the average. If most of us here spent any length of time conversing with them, we'd find them borderline retarded (not to sound arrogant, it's just true). Even the level of their sporting event analysis would be lacking to a noticeable degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you say is true, but it's more like 2+2 represents the top 10-20% than the top 1-2%. I would be surprised if more than 25% could make it into Mensa.

Also, don't forget there are plenty of 2+2ers that are not winning poker players even...
Old 05-14-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, AFAIK, this isn't some scam organization where just about anyone will pass the test. They legitimately only want the top 2% of IQ's (120+ IQ I think).

[/ QUOTE ]

130 to 132 (depending on the test) actually:
http://www.us.mensa.org/Content/AML/Navi...fyingScores.htm
Old 05-14-2007, 03:16 PM

Man I know a ton of kids in my public high school in 87 that got a 29 or higher on the ACT. That does not seem like that exclusive of a club.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:30 PM

I joined Mensa when I was like 8 by taking an IQ test. I had no idea it might even be marginally useful later in my life or even existed for older people. For me it was just a way to take some classes with kids that weren't retarded and do some creative things that were marginally interesting.

Ended up getting sick of it and never went back. I could see the advantage of it later in life for networking.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:41 PM

I could not pass the test. I will bet much more than $40 that Alobar can tho. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2007, 04:33 AM

man okay...gonna decide against it then. none of the benefits really apply to me, and networking with socially awkward people isn't really...networking at all